Newbie question

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Akinto, Jul 12, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Akinto

Akinto Member

I tried to use the public charger at Muskoka Natural Foods in Bracebridge, ON. My first attempt at public charging.

It gets a good rating. Should work. It’s a BMW J1772 charger.

I couldn’t make the green light on my charging port turn on. Only two options on the charger: blue light or green light on the switch. Neither worked.

Any idea what I needed to do to make it work?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

First make sure the car charge timer is off.
    Try plugging and unplugging with in a few seconds of each other.
    I’m not familiar with BMW EVSEs; does it have an initiation switch. If so try that a few times after plugging.
    Is it a free charger or a pay charger?
    Ask owner if it’s working and if anyone successfully used it today.
    Then, did you get a blinking green light at the charge door indicating the car is negotiating wirh the EVSE? It should blink a few times before going steady green.
    This will help you try to narrow down the problem to the car or the charger.

4. Akinto

Akinto Member

I’ve never turned the charge timer on. There’s no “timer on” indication on the battery charging page of Honda Link.

I plugged and unplugged like crazy.

The charger had a power switch. I could push it and switch it back and forth between glowing blue or green.

The charger was free and unnetworked. My charging port light stayed dark throughout.

No one in the store knew anything.

It seems like I may not have any additional strategies. Thanks for your list.

5. bfd

bfd Active Member

The main issue with public chargers? They're patently unreliable.

6. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

You didn't mention how you tried to initiate the charge. Most reliable is to press the button on the Honda key fob AFTER you have connected the EVSE and enabled it (either powered it on or enabled it via the network's app). Second most reliable is to tap "Start Charging" in the Hondalink app. As an additional indicator of a successfully connected EVSE, on the Hondalink app to the right of the battery level should be a plug indicating the vehicle is plugged in.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Akinto

Akinto Member

I never thought to use my fob! Thanks. I’ll try that.

Feeling sheepish.

9. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

These cars aren't like other devices that begin charging as soon as plugged in. You've got to tell it to do so after plugging in, either via the HL app or the key fob.

Akinto likes this.
  10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Um, mine starts charging on my home ChargePoint and the OEM Level 1 Charger as soon as I plug.

Akinto and Steven B like this.
  11. Steven B

Steven B Active Member

Correction: if timer is set anywhere, charging won't start as soon as plugging in.

KentuckyKen likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Chuck

Chuck Member

I have never had to tell the car to start charging on ChargePoint(after activating the charger) or my home charger. Just plug in and it starts.