New quirks discovered (2020 MY)

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Genevamech, Mar 28, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

So last night I learned an interesting thing; If you don't have a departure scheduled, it disables scheduled charging too.

To expand on that: If you go to set up departures, you can set two different departure schedules. Either or both of them can be enabled or disabled. Yesterday I had absent-mindedly disabled both, turned the car off, plugged in and went inside for the night. What I did not notice until after the fact, was that the scheduled charging option was faded out. Apparently, having no departure time enabled means scheduled charging is also disabled!

Luckily the default behavior is the car will begin to charge more or less immediately upon being plugged in, so I still left in the morning with 80% SOC as planned. The only reason I noticed anything was wrong at all is I like to keep an eye on my home's energy usage and noticed that the car hadn't charged overnight... but rather had completed charging by 10PM. It's supposed to start at 11PM!

The confusing bit is it does not matter what the departure schedule actually is. It just needs to be active and scheduled charging will work any day or time as long as it's plugged in when it's due to start. If charging schedule isn't controlled by departure time, why does departure time need to be enabled at all? Strange!

I guess the alternative is to us the EVSE's timer function, if there is one, and keep the car set up to charge whenever it's plugged in. The pitfall here is if you do have a departure time enabled, then make sure there isn't a conflict between the EVSE's schedule and the car's schedule.

bleddy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.