New Order (not the band)

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by TempoHouse, May 21, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Hi everyone. Just placed an order for '22 SE in Enigmatic Black with a white roof and power spoke wheels.

It looks like several people have the Enigmatic Black/white roof combo. Anyone have pics they can share? I'm a little anxious about the white roof.

I've also never seen Enigmatic Black in person. Is it pretty similar to the Reef Blue color from a few years ago?

Really appreciate all the information here. It's very helpful.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

On first glance, its a deep black. It will turn a darkish blue in areas where the sun reflects off of it. More sun, more blue. Impressive. The SE is not the only model with the Enigmatic black, you may find another on the lot to view.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. quietlyspinach

quietlyspinach Active Member

Enigmatic Black is a pretty good description. To me, it looks black, nearly all the time. When I first picked up the car in sunlight, it looked black to me. I took a photo to show my family, and in the photo it looked blue!

I don't think it has ever looked as blue to my eyes as it does in photos. Personally, I'd prefer my car to be more blue colored and less black. But after a week I'm used to it because the color of my car is one of the least important features! :)

5. bldxyz

bldxyz Well-Known Member

I concur.

It reads black most of the time, but in direct sunlight, you see the blue metallic hue. I suppose that’s what makes in an enigma.

On the plus side, the car blends well the piano black exterior elements that are mandatory on the Iconic trim, and it is a more rich color than the regular black option.

If you really want something that reads blue, I don’t think Enigmatic Black is for you. But there is no blue choice in the Iconic trim.

I did see a car in Enigmatic Black before I chose, both in pictures and in person. In person, it looked very dark blue, in direct sun. In photos, it sometimes reads black and sometimes dark blue.

I posted a bunch of photos of my 2022 in the delivery stories thread.

6. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I think the enigmatic black looks great. We owned one of those fantastic 1996 Nissan Maximas (one of the best cars we ever owned). It was dark green, but, depending on the lighting conditions, it looked black. We got tired of people asking what color it was! So, just personal preference, we now tend to avoid any enigmatic color schemes.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It's interesting that people asked what color your Maxima was. I've never gotten any questions about the color of our Moonlit Forest Pearl Clarity Plug-In Hybrid. Only in the bright sunlight is the car obviously green.

upload_2021-5-23_10-57-17.png

Here's an interesting spec: EV Specifications says the blocky MINI Cooper SE has a coefficient of drag of 0.3 while other sources say the Clarity with all it's many aerodynamic tricks has a coeffient of drag of 0.32. I'd love to know the difference between a 2020/21 SE's cD and the 2022 SE's cD. There had better be an improvement to justify adding more slots to the front end.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. TempoHouse

TempoHouse Member

Thanks everyone. Car is "in production" already, so I can stop worrying about making order changes. I'm sure I'll love it.

MichaelC likes this.
  10. miatadan

miatadan Active Member Subscriber

From the discussions on this forum, I am sure you be very happy with the Mini Cooper SE.

Normally, I do not consider the FWD type of EV but the Mini Cooper SE is the exception as from what I see in videos and articles, it is fun to drive which is my number 1 consideration in choosing a car.

Dan

insightman likes this.