New Mini SE drive

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by MrSnrub, May 2, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

sign me up

bucoshi and CuriousGeorge like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Does Canada welcome vehicles imported from China?

4. MrSnrub

Yep we do. 6% import duty but there could be pressure from the USA soon on Chinese cars..Canadian market Buick Envisions are built in China

Tesla is going to start importing Model Y from China for Canada

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  5. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Nope. . . . . To much like my old Tesla.

Jkoya likes this.
  6. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yeah, I’m not a fan of minimalist cockpits. Musicians don’t play LCD instruments, writers don’t type on touchscreens.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing!

I'm not a fan of moving oft-used controls to a touchscreen, and I do enjoy looking at a large battery of toggle switches. In reality, however, I don't actually use most of them, or at least very often, so could live with the approach if need be. I also don't object to the turn-to-start switch - it's just a different kind of quirky.

More interesting/concerning was the comment about the lightness of the steering, and the fact that the wheel appeared thinner. However, at least it's not a yoke.

bucoshi likes this.
  9. Given that we already have 2024s, then I would assume that this would show up in 2024 as a 2025 model, so probably a year away.

10. MrSnrub

The steering comment worried me because I already find the current SE light…

carrrl and insightman like this.
  11. Brawndo

Brawndo Member

Light is fine. Slow is not fine for a Mini.

3rd gen steering is significantly more lifeless than the first two gens, the return of some feedback would be very much appreciated as well since we're listing wishes.

Both stories I've seen from this drive mentions the rear end sliding on the track. That sure makes me happy.

bucoshi likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. MrSnrub

you can just tweak the alignment for that

Carsten Haase likes this.
  14. ghost

ghost Active Member

It's not a good feeling to look and see a blank screen when it is the only thing showing current driving data (speed, etc.). I've had to reboot the screen while driving my wife's Tesla and it's disconcerting.

15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

16. Jkoya

Jkoya Member

Completely agree !! I was glad to get rid of our Model 3 Performance - I just did not like the interior. Much happier in our 2023 SE !

GetOffYourGas, insightman and SameGuy like this.
  17. AndysComputer

AndysComputer Well-Known Member

I much prefer the screen with a couple
    Do software buttons (like in the steering), especially if I can customize the behavior to my liking.
    I’m hate a sea of cryptically iconed buttons and the busy look of cat interiors. Sleek, modern Scandinavian design please. I love the Tesla approach, apart from the lack of a button on the glovebox.
    Buttons and wiring adds cost, weight and more stuff to go wrong. No-one is going back from a smartphone to a blackberry either. I was against the Tesla way before I bought one and lived with it, now getting into the SE or any other car feels like going back to the stone age. No thanks.
    That truly round center screen is going to be very trick looking and unique.

CoachCookie likes this.
  18. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Just below the circular screen are traditional toggle switches include on/off, gear selection, power modes, audio volume and what MINI is calling ‘experiences’.

Gear selection? So there's no shifter?

20. SameGuy

YUL
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess. While modern aircraft cockpits have a lot more “glass” and on-screen controls these days, they will never be completely devoid of physical buttons, knobs, and toggles. It may work in a Tesla for people who don’t know how to drive (or prefer not to have to drive), but when I’m driving, I like to pay attention to the road and my surroundings rather than having to divert that attention to adjust the climate control or the volume or anything else, having to look at a touchscreen instead of relying on muscle memory.

21. SameGuy

YUL
    Even worse, as that reviewer above talked about the round OLED display, she hinted that there will be all sorts of gamification. I don’t want or need gamification in my car’s controls. For anything I don’t set up before hitting the road, I tend to use voice control (Siri). Anything that requires adjustment while underway, such as climate, I much prefer physical controls to touchscreens.

Akanaten likes this.
  22. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

There is a shifter. It's just a tiny one mounted below the circular screen that you toggle up-or-down, instead of one between the seats that you move back-and-forth. ;)

MichaelC and Puppethead like this.
  23. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily opposed to more screen controls, but please don't take away the physical volume control knob. I also prefer physical climate controls, but I can live with screen controls for that I guess. I also prefer a control knob like in the current MINI as I very seldomly use the touch screen, but I know that's a losing battle.

turbofuzzy likes this.