new L1/L2 charger initial thought

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Dean Chao, Apr 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dean Chao

Dean Chao New Member

Hi all,
    disclaimer: not affiliated with the manufacturer of the charger. Just posting my thought.

TL;DR
    great cost effective charger to get charging data and set current based on need.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097XSXTKY
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HGTYYZ9 (adapter)

Got my Clarity last summer and quickly converted the old electric dryer outlet (10-30) to be used for EV charging (we use a gas dryer now). I have been using another brand of 16A L1/L2 charger from amazon but it doesn't have current adjustment and energy monitor.

I got this new L1/L2 charger and used it the first time today. I am pretty happy with it now I can use the readout to log charging activities. I like how I can adjust the current that I can try different settings. It is compatible with L1 too so I can take this with me on the road if needed. I will have to get an adapter though.

Hope this helps folks who are planning for a similar setup. I am also curious to hear what chargers you use and how it works out for you. Cheers.

This following photo shows the display at the end of the charging session. Now I can calculate kWh/mile too.

IMG_20220408_094152.jpg
    Image 20220408-102517-001 DEAN-T14.png

MrFixit and Robert_Alabama like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Looks like a great option. I went cheap and made an adapter to run the OEM evse on 240v. The OEM evse was made by Panasonic for worldwide use, meaning it can run on either 120v or 240v power. On 240v power, charges at roughly twice the speed as it does on 120v. My adapter cost me about $30 in parts to make.

4. I splurged on the Grizzl-e Classic. On Monday an electrician will be running a 50A outlet to the garage, which is something I’ve wanted to add for a awhile. They’ll also run a 30A outlet out to an RV parking spot through existing conduit, which will serve a variety of needs.

We’ve managed for 2 1/2 years with L1 charging, but now find that on a few occasions there is a morning trip and an afternoon trip with an hour or so of time in between. Sometimes the combined trips exceed the EV range, plus the few miles we gain from a brief period of L1 charging. There is also a second PHEV in the not too distant future, so having L2 charging just makes sense for us.

Yes, it’s a dumb charger. We have no need or desire for anything else.