New Kona Electric keeps topping off overnight

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Kokoko, Mar 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kokoko

Kokoko New Member

Just picked up a new 2020 kona and am currently using the included 110v charger and have the max charge set to 90%.

It charges fine, but slowly as expected. But I will get multiple messages from bluelink app that my car has finished charging. For example I may get the first message at 1am,then another at 4 am and another at 7am. It seems like the battery charges, then discharges a little causing it to top off again.

Is this normal and is there anything to be concerned about?

Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thomas Mackay

Thomas Mackay New Member

Mine did this too one time. The next time I charged it up it did not do it. It has to do with the internal 12v battery recharging system. Your car is really no different than a cell phone, it has an LTE chip and communicates almost all the time. Just like a phone, the 12v battery needs to stay charged. Nothing to worry about.

Happy Driving!

4. Genevamech

Genevamech Active Member

I had this happen as well, early on, but it stopped eventually. I have no idea what changed or why it was a thing to begin with. It might - might - be related to using the 110v EVSE cable. I also used that for about a month until I got around to getting a 240V EVSE installed... but I don't remember if the messages stopped around then.

But otherwise yeah, nothing to worry about, just kinda annoying.

5. NRH

NRH Active Member

Probably a reminder to change your notification settings. I'd prefer not to hear from my car about every little experience it's having, moment by moment. :)
    Congrats on the new car. We love ours!

6. I would assume this is what's happening. When the 12V battery charges itself off the traction battery every 4 hours the systems wakes up at the scheduled time and while doing its initialisation finds that the charger is plugged in. It queries that, finds that it's alive and that charge scheduling allows charging. But then it sees that the traction battery is already charged to the limit setting and considers charging complete. The aux battery charging carries on for 20 minutes then the system goes back to sleep.
    The app (which I thankfully don't have) is presumably not clever enough to understand that no substantial traction battery charging actually took place.

7. To remove this ad click here.