New GOM theory

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by vader, Oct 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. vader

vader Well-Known Member

Ok, so I had my first, yearly service last week. They said there was a firmware update and I hoped that the GOM would be fixed. Alas, no it wasn't. But I have been carefully looking at it since everything was reset. When I got the car back, the avg consumption was 22kWh/100km - obviously the service mechanics enjoyed the car :)

After a week, I am back to 12.6/100km. The average consumption marries up with my actual consumption - well it will soon, it is still going down. Anyway, I noticed something and I now believe the MINI engineers drank the EPA coolaid. My range appears to be almost exactly out by a factor of 0.7 . This is the factor the EPA multiply the real result by to get the reported range. When I worked it out, my indicated 174km becomes around 250 (170/0.7). This factor continues all the way through. At each point, when I calculated the real range, the GOM was out by 0.7 . That got me thinking that maybe they are using the 10-80% battery methodology (ie. 70% of the battery).

If I could magically factor the 0.7 in, my GOM would be very close to spot on. I went for a very spirited drive (to see what would happen), and my range next charge was 155km. This translated to about 220km, which was spot on what I calculated. It could be the GOM has been updated, but is still reading ludicrously low, however it is now accurate when you divide by 0.7 .This means it is still useless, as dividing by 0.7 in your head is not the easiest. It does mean we are getting closser to a fuctional GOM though.

Texas22Step and polyphonic like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I just happened to ask my service department about a software update. They said they just plug it into the machine and whatever happens happens. I'm curious if your update is the new 2022 LCI software, or at least full-screen CarPlay (assuming 8.8" display).

The GOM observations are interesting. Since I've started using @GvilleGuy's calculation shortcut it consistently calculates above 5 mi/kwH and in the vicinity of 160 miles range, while the GOM never shows more than about 110 miles.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Multiply by 1.5 then knock off 5-10 miles?

5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

I multiply the state of charge % by 1.25, which is my realistic minimum in warm weather.

It's a good problem to have in the EV world. :)

6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

MINI down under specifies yearly service for your SE? My first service visit is due next August, 2 years after I took delivery.

Those service mechanics have a tough job. They, of course, assume you drive your SE hard so they had to emulate your demands on the car to be sure they didn't miss any problems. :)

Texas22Step likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I just brought my R55 Clubman in for service, and it has a bent rear lower control arm (looks like it hit a very large rock, we do a lot of driving on gravel roads). While this is the previous generation, it's still a type of repair that even the SE could need. So I'm glad I at least bring my SE in for winter wheel swaps.

bentcontrol.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  9. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I dunno, it doesn't seem the GOM on my late April 2022 built Iconic has been that far off once I had a few hundred miles on it. A bit conservative perhaps. I don't recall observing any of the big shifts in range predictions that others have, perhaps some upward trend. After the latest charge its predicted range is 130 miles where I may be able to squeeze 140-150 miles out of it in normal mode. I only have 1700 miles on it, however.

10. vader

vader Well-Known Member

It could be temperature/climate based. Mine has 15000km on the clock, and it has never been close. The highest ever range I have seen is (from memory) 175km, and that was last week. The lowest ever range I have seen in the real world was 210km, and that was at a constant 110kph. At normal city speeds I regularly get > 250km range. That is why I hoped the update would fix the GOM. It is basically useless to me, other than messing up any longer trips where we use GPS navigation (saying we won't make it etc).

@insightman - the service was an inspection service, and recall/firmware update. In Oz, you now can't do certain car play things because they don't trust you not to crash :) I don't use car play, so no issue here. Just hoped they would correct the hideous GOM. Unfortunately, no joy.

As far as mental arithmetic goes, dividing by 0.7 is close to multiplying by 1.4 - so double the range, double again, divide by 10 and that is the extra you have. Eg:

GOM: 100km
    double = 200km, double again = 400km, divide by 10 = 40km.

Real range = 100 + 40 = 140km. That pretty much works out. GOM reads 175km (*2*2/10 = 70) means real range = 245km (150 miles), which is pretty accurate.

11. fasttr

fasttr Member

Can you tell me what changed with CarPlay? Just curious…

12. To remove this ad click here.