New capacity for EV production - Hyundai/Kia??

Discussion in 'General' started by davidtm, Apr 5, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Just saw this from Inside EVs on Google news. Maybe the answer to all of us (im)patiently waiting for a Kona, Niro, or new Soul??

InsideEVs: Automotive Supplier Purchases GM’s Plant In South Korea To Make EVs.
    https://insideevs.com/?p=343018

Sent from my Zenpad using Tapatalk

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That's the guess that makes the most sense, but I saw someone suggest Apple as well. While that seems less likely, it's good to remember that it's not necessarily one of the Korean manufacturers we're familiar with.

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Or could it be GM themselves?. It could be a wise move for GM. GM gets the plant and losses of their books, and GM also gets a partner that now takes the risk. GM could for example have a Bolt or something similar manufactured there and shipped to the US in a plant that they do not have to own or operate. If volumes get to that level that capacity is not there, they can move it to GM production facilities worldwide. I kind of doubt if Apple would buy a plant in Korea, just too many risks.

5. Looking back, especially at the phrase "in talks with an unidentified global automaker," I doubt that it is Apple. I don't think it makes sense for GM to sell it, then buy output handled by someone else.
    Maybe VW? 50,000 units in 2021 building to 150,000 in 2025 is an ambitious amount of EV production.

6. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

It is the Chinese who are looking at that plant, but it makes no sense why they would not build it in China http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/04/byton-to-build-cars-at-former-gm-gunsan-plant-in-south-korea/

One brand expected to build vehicles at the facility is Byton, the Chinese electric vehicle brand founded in 2016 by former Nissan and BMW executives......MS Autotech, the South Korean parts supplier, bought the former GM Gunsan plant for 113 billion won ($98.7 million at today’s exchange rates) to build electric vehicles on behalf of Chinese automaker Future Mobility Corporation. And that’s how Byton will become one of the automotive brands produced at the former GM factory. Production at the plant is scheduled to begin in 2021 with an output of 50,000 electric vehicles per year. Annual capacity is expected to grow to 150,000 units by 2025. The plant will undergo a 300 billion-won ($262 billion) retooling.

7. To remove this ad click here.