New 2022 Niro EV Owner...a few questions...

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by Charles Gaba, Jun 14, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Charles Gaba

Charles Gaba New Member

Hi, I've owned a 2022 Niro EV for about 3 months now; I've driven it around 2,900 miles so far, including a road trip from Detroit to DC & back which I've documented on my blog.

So far I absolutely love the car, but I have a couple of questions; I apologize if these have already been answered elsewhere:

• Do the brake lights turn on when regenerative braking is happening? How about if you're actively engaging regen via the paddle?
    • Similarly, do they turn on when smart cruise control is engaged & you slow down?
    • For the efficiency indicator: I know the Niro EV is officially rated at 239 miles / 64 kWh charge, which would be 3.73 miles/kWh. The dashboard trip indicator jumps up & down, of course, depending on how you're driving/etc. My question is: Does the dashboard indicator take regenerative braking into account, especially for the lifetime estimate? That is, if it says the car's lifetime efficiency is 3.6 miles/kWh, is that with or without the regen braking charge?
    • Along the same lines: Thanks to an OBD2 widget I've learned that my Niro has a cumulative total of 1,094.5 kWh charged & 1,025.7 kWh discharged. 2,900 miles / 1,026 kWh = just 2.83 miles/kWh, which is far lower than it should be. Is it safe to assume that some of that charge/discharge happened during production/testing and has nothing to do with actual real-world driving?
    I'll leave it at that for now, thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Robert Bratton likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Because you don't know what the SoC was when those numbers were zero you can't account for the difference in stored battery energy. So the absolute values are not useful for this purpose. You need to stick to just looking at changes. Take the readings at the start and the end of a trip and just look at the changes, i.e the delta (Δ). Then calculate ΔCED - 0.98xΔCEC for the net energy used. Since the granularity is only 0.1 kWh for all four values you need to drive at least 50 or more miles to get good accuracy.

Robert Bratton and Charles Gaba like this.