NEMA14-50 failure when charging

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Rexsio, Oct 16, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Work with I3 for 5 years and Mini SE almost 2 years .I wander what could happened if breaker didn’t trigger - FIRE ???????

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_2896.jpeg

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

That is absolutely phenomenal getting ~7 years with a Leviton! You can now spoil yourself and get the $200 Hubbell 14-50R or a hardwired EVSE.

5. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Thank you for advice and I was lucky didn’t cause a fire ,everyone should see those picture and NEVER install $10 NEMA 14-50 outlet .That Leviton outlet last that long because was unplugged only few times throughout 7 years of use.I’m going to install Hubbell now!and was not a price reason to go with Leviton just luck of knowledge and Leviton shouldn’t sell this crab ! IMG_2894.jpeg

Puppethead likes this.
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

This is a normal occurrence with the Leviton. Surprised it lasted so long. Google it

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

After a fact I Googled everything about it and I send my charger to manufacture they were so nice to replace my plug on unit .

9. Jkoya

Jkoya Member

Wow - I was surprised to see how much the Hubbell costs now !! I swapped out our Leviton for the Hubbell last year and paid about $70 for it.

10. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Yeah it's stupid expensive at Grainger now. Hardwiring is probably the better option and maybe in 2024 I can get a bidirectional DCFC installed.

11. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

IMG_1071.jpeg
    According to your advice I install Hubbell 14-50R and Clipper Creek manufacturer was so nice replaced a plug on charger trouble shut a charger IMG_1065.jpeg and send me Hubbell all no charge .That unit is build in USA in California and very nice man Ryan who take care of my trouble.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
    MichaelC, h-dogg and insightman like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

My idea to put those picture is not to scare people but we should know about it and I’m handicapped about insert URL or paste a web page I’m using only IPod and don’t know how to download that page to forum that’s why I’m doing this way but if someone read this article can put correct way that will be beneficial or not I really don’t know. IMG_1252.jpeg IMG_1250.jpeg

14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

15. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

Thank you @ Puppethead and in my garage which is build in into my high ranch style house i have 2 smoke detectors in front and back of the car.That car was hybrid MINI Countryman I find out following a story .SE is still going strong without fires .

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Then for all we know it could have been the gas engine that started the fire. ICE vehicles catch fire a lot more often than EVs do.

Rexsio likes this.