Need phone holder advice…

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Jim In Tucson, Nov 20, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

I’m 2 and a half years into SE ownership and still loving the experience.

One of the week one upgrades was the addition of a phone holder/charger. I went with one that mounts into the cup holder. It works great, but I don’t like the excessive eye travel required when rapidly moving eyes from highway to phone to highway, over and over.

I do like the fact that this device charges the phone, and it has automatic power open and close, so very simple one handed operation.

Has anyone found a better phone mount device that places the phone more at eye level?

I’ve looked at several vent mounts, but I’m in the desert and don’t really want to reduce air flow. Plus, the vents seem a bit fragile for that purpose.

Thanks for any/all ideas.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I think WeatherTech makes a cup holder mount with a longer articulating arm.

4. I recall seeing this somewhere in the forum: https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-gemini-phone-mount-1/?make=MINI

5. While it doesn’t provide power to the phone, this first-generation iOttie dash/windshield mount has done a great job for me in several cars. The Mini was tough to figure out a good placement, but the variety of configurations of the arm helped me tuck it into an out of the way, yet easily visible location. The suction cup is super strong and I’ve had no issues with it falling off.

For power I just run a cord from the usb in the center cubby over the steering wheel. It’s stayed in place quite well.

Looking at Amazon, where I got it, I see there are two more newer generations. https://a.co/d/6k9Ur4N
    IMG_1342.jpeg

SameGuy likes this.
  6. SameGuy

YUL
    I have a Qi-enabled iOttie in my '94 Crapolla, and it's always worked well. The sticky-pad/suction-cup version wouldn't fit in well with the F56 dash, but the windshield version, mounted on the left like yours, would be great (in jurisdictions that allow it).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Oh cool, there’s a Qi version!

If the iOtti arm was a bit more flexible I’d prefer to have the suction cup in the corner of the windshield. The less stuff blocking my view, the better. :)

Maybe it could be configured to mount to the dash in the corner with its arm following the line of the dash. I’ve just had better luck with it stuck to glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

9. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

10. SameGuy

YUL
    I had one of those in the Crapolla and it broke the slats in the vent.

11. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I used it on my old EVO X and my daughter uses it on her VW Jetta. Absolutely zero problems. Scosche has always made really good products.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ghost

ghost Active Member

I have a ProClip phone holder that clips to the ring and faces the driver. Bought the clip and then a cheap magnetic holder off Amazon b/c the ProClip magnetic holder is expensive, and they make you buy it separately.

14. Deepak Rao

Deepak Rao Member