Navigation Questions

Discussion in 'F-150 Lightning' started by Puppethead, Jan 1, 2024.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Last night on a drive an odd perimeter was shown on the navigation map that I've never seen before (I had to zoom out far to show it all). I couldn't find anything online about it, does anyone have an idea?

The perimeter doesn't seem to align with any roadways or geography. At first I thought it could be showing maximum range, but I'd think that would be a circle. The region is far too irregular to be a range limit.

My second thought was maybe it was highlighting my entire metropolitan area, but that doesn't make much sense since the perimeter is well beyond what's typically considered my metro region. In fact, the bottom area that extends south to the Iowa border is over 100 miles away and there was only about 60 miles of range on the Lightning at the time.

IMG_5212.jpg

(Forgive the blurriness, I was the passenger in the moving truck.)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The top and the bottom appear to align with roads. Do small (non-expressway) roads appear in the left and right sections when you zoom in? At first, I guessed there are no roads that go into the perimeter intrusions. However, I'd expect greater range to be possible on smaller roads with lower speed limits.

Our MINI Cooper EVs show range as a circle, but maybe Ford's serpentine contour represents more refined data?

4. I don't usually use the lightning nav system but tried it yesterday. I initially got a squiggly outline like shown above. I was going to take a picture of it when I stopped as I was driving when it displayed. When I stopped it turned turned in to a perfect circle. So it does appear to be related to range. I will play around with it and see if I can find more detailed information.

Puppethead and insightman like this.
  5. In the Mach E while in navigation, I get a perfect circle when the accessories are on, and the squiggly line when the power is on.

6. I get the perfect circle when I turn the Lightning on and then it switch to the squiggly line when I start to drive. The squiggly line tends to follow along the main highways which have more robust charging infrastructure. Look like there is an algorithm which takes available charging in to account. In the second picture the fingers extend up ward along the I 5, CA99, CA395, and to left along I40. Where as the area of Los Angeles has less fingers extending outward.

sd+NIawwSRio558hVsKnHw.jpg f6riZXONQ76e1cPfJVC%8w.jpg

Puppethead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I was on another trip yesterday (as I post) and tested it again, coinciding with your findings. I took screenshots as the ring changed during the journey, and after an hour of driving a little more than 40 miles, the ring finally switched back to a circle. I was hoping to compile the screenshots in a post but haven't had time yet.