Nav System Error Contest

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Toolworker, May 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Let's have a contest to see who can post the worst routing from the Kona EV navigation system. If Hyundai and MapnSoft won't fix reported map errors, at least we can have some fun with them.

Voting rules: Please wait until Sunday, May 22 to vote. That will give people a chance to post.

Starting Sunday, May 22, vote by liking one or more of your favorite bad routings.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Yes, they do fix some errors. There used to be two on this route, and one was fixed in the April 2022 release. Here's the other one, which I've reported several times:

Hyundai's routing - 28.2 miles
    1. Hyundai Route.jpg

Google Maps correct routing - 18.7 miles.
    2. Correct route.png

The nav system refuses to use a freeway off-ramp. It's in the HERE map database, so either it's coded wrong or there's a bug in the routing code.

Please don't Like this post until Sunday, May 22, when voting opens. There may be more deserving ones by then.

4. The contest died from lack of interest, but here's a new challenge. The error above still happens, going 9.5 miles out of the way. But here's one from March 2022: 38.6 miles out of the way. Can anyone beat that?

The nav system proposed this route from Mendocino CA to Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve: 69.4 miles.

20220331_104002.jpg

But as soon as I turned south instead of north on CA 1, the system corrected to the straight line route, 30.8 miles.

Mendocino CA to Montgomery Woods State Natural Reserve.png

5. This isn't a specific nav error, but after picking up our brand new Kona EV and starting to drive it home, the onboard nav routed my partner down the tiniest streets of the city where we bought it, streets that were difficult to navigate with oncoming traffic and parked cars since in a sane world they would have all been signed as one-way streets.

Once we got it home, I set up Android Auto and use Waze most of the time, with Google Maps as an alternate. Waze sometimes has a nasty habit of routing down side streets to avoid 30 seconds at a stoplight, but I can live with that.