Nashville benchmark

Discussion in 'i3' started by bwilson4web, Jul 29, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

In 2016, I ran a BMW i3-REx benchmark from Huntsville-to-Nashville in EV. I returned on gas:
    • 2016 vs 2023
    • EV: $24 vs $13
    • Gas: $6 vs $8
    NOTES:

The first benchmark was with a 2014 BMW i3-REx with 60 Ah (18 kWh) battery. The second was a 2017 BMW i3-REx with 90 Ah (28 kWh) battery. The 2014 had Bridgestone front and back inflated to maximum sidewall, 51 psi. The 2017 had Hancock on the front and Bridgestone on the rear inflated to maximum Hancock, 47 psi.

In 2016, the only available CCS-1, fast DC, an Electrify America station added 25 miles to Manchester TN. In 2023 test, there was an Electrify America station 2 miles added at Franklin TN. The Electrify America station required moving the car to a second charging lane because of a broken card reader. The second one was in degraded mode which to add 4 kWh 'for free' at a slow, 25 kW. I charged at the same EVgo station from both benchmarks but the 2017 had a peak rate of 38 kW versus the 2014 48 kW.

Premium gas (recommended for BMW) was bought at the same Costco in both benchmarks. On the return, the high 91 F temperatures required operating the air conditioner. I also took a short biology break leaving the A/C on for the dogs.

IMPESSIONS:
    • More Electrify America stations and CCS-1 stations makes EV travel possible.
    • BMW, max 38 kW charge rate makes long distance EV travel impractical.
      • Coded to allow REx at 75% permits practical cross country on gas.
    • The 2017 BMW is a practical, backup for our 2019 Tesla Model 3
      • At $15,000 more affordable and usable than other EVs
      • REx sidesteps the CCS-1 mess
      • Low 38 kW charge rate negates a Supercharger adapter
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The newer i3 charges slower than the older one? My i3-derived MINI Cooper SE charges at 50 kW max and although the SE has a CATL battery instead of a Samsung, I assumed the i3 could also charge at that rate.

4. bwilson4web

Apparently there are two actual trims, I01 and I02. The 2014 was an I02 that included dynamic cruise control and a larger, center screen. Called the 'technology package,' I don't have a good description of the differences. With my 2017, I am learning and so far, no great surprises.

For different reasons, the BMW i3-REx and Tesla Model 3 have turned out to be good cross country cars:
    • Short gas segments - the 2.3 gal, coded tank lasts about 1.25 hrs before it needs refilling. Although it refills fast, the forced, short breaks helps to keep me alert and hydrated.
    • Short EV segments - the 1.5 to 2.5 hr segments AFTER the first ~3 hr segment also forces biology breaks and 15-25 minute charging sessions. These also keep me alert and refreshed.
    The longer and often more boring Prius segments tempted me to drive beyond my physical limits. In contrast, I've become more adept at detecting and handling endurance driving.

Bob Wilson

insightman likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

The charging curve from EVgo:
    upload_2023-7-30_4-34-43.png

Bob Wilson

6. insightman

Based on the peak, this is charging your first i3, not your "new" stealth-black i3, right? Does the beautiful 39-minute curve depict a charge to 100%? By my calculations, the curve continues ascending until the 28-minute mark. If it takes only 11 more minutes to get to 100%, that's very impressive.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

It was charging my 2017 BMW i3-REx. It ended with:
    upload_2023-7-30_14-3-42.jpeg

Subsequent research claims it should have reached 50 kW but it was a hot day. It could have been the EVgo or the BMW dealing with the heat.

Bob Wilson

9. insightman

I'm sure you're glad your 2017 i3 doesn't have a peak charging rate of 38 kW. It didn't make sense that a 2014 i3 would have a higher charging rate than the 2017 model.