NACS has 277 Volt A/C capability, how will current EV's handle that?

Discussion in 'General' started by Lee Lightfoot, Jul 18, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I understand some NACS destination chargers have 277 volts (a common industrial voltage) and CCS1 looks to max out at 240 volts, with simple adaptors how will the pre 2024 EV's handle 277 volts?

Is this what CharIN and SAE need to wrangle into the NACS standards corral?

I understand (from the internet) that Mach-E lists 280V in their service manual, so maybe they can handle the 277v.

Onboard charge controllers, charge slower on 208V (another common standard) so faster at higher voltages might mean, a F-150 accepting 80 amps of 277V will get 22.1KW about 15% more than advertised.

277V is only 15% more pushy, than 240 by my math (240 X 1.15 = 277) might work great or maybe it will just trip some overvoltage sensor and stop the attempted charge. I just hope it doesn't let the smoke out of those magic smoke storage boxes.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see the source of your information as I wouldn't expect to see destination chargers using 277 volts in North America.

It's this a European installation?

https://www.tesla.com/support/commercial

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
  4. Attached screen snip shows Tesla answering questions about charging with 277 volt
    And also attached Wikipedia shows NACS "standard" in the lower right to support 277 volt

Attached Files:

5. CCS1 is DC voltage and generally runs around 400 to 500 volts dc, though a number of cars are being produced with upwards of 800-900 volts such as Lucid Porsche, Hyundai and KIA. NACS can be used for ac or dc charging on a Tesla, or DC on a CCS1 plug with a magic dock adapter.

The Tesla destination charger is an ac EVSE. It can run on single phase ac from 240 volts typical found in a house or 277 volts single phase off a 480 volt three phase found in industrial settings.

I think the thing SAE and CharIN are trying to standardize is the communication protocol to establish what the DC charge rate for a particular car will be. Each car has a unique charging curve that the charger need to match so as not to damage the battery

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

OK, got it. One can connect the device to 277 volts. However, Tesla doesn't recommend 277 volts as it may cause charging issues.

Lee Lightfoot and Fastnf like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I'm only thinking of AC charging, and it looks like originally Tesla was allowing 277 volts on the NACS, but shied away from it as time passed. Probably modifying any chargers they installed away from the 277 in favor of the 240.

CharIN, or SAE need a full understanding of this, if a 2012 Volt gets an adapter and stumbles upon a NACS connector that is on 277 AC it would be a stupid way to ruin a vehicle.

9. Most of the EVSE already have an over voltage fault mode for ac charging. My 8 year old GE Durostation faults at 270 volts. Above that it simply stops charging. AC adapters have been available for j1772 to destination charges for a number of years. I have had one for four years now and used it a number of times at destination chargers with my Kona. These are NACS to J1772 which is different than NACS to CCS1 which is DC fast charging. If you have a J1772/ CSS1 car you will need two adapters one for ac and one for dc. AC adapters are available now. DC adapters will be available for use at Tesla superchargers next year for those companies that have reached an agreement with Tesla.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Munro has often commented that Tesla builds more than the published limit in their cars. Although I don't have a handy reference, both Munro and Ingineer have YouTubes that addressed whether Tesla's had a bi-directional AC capability.

They revealed Tesla uses diodes, one way only, to initially convert AC-in to DC. The rest is the glue logic needed to handle P-factor, noise, and current limits.

Personally, I am curious what 'value added engineering' the SAE might contribute to NACS. There may be a definition of optional Vehicle-to-Grid interface but that would not be mandatory. There are good engineering reasons for not tapping vehicle batteries for grid power. Solar storage batteries, yes, but vehicle batteries have hard requirements:
    • high energy density - especially for light weight
    • accident safety
    • long life - so the car doesn't become a boat anchor
    Bob Wilson

Fastnf likes this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Practically anything that converts AC to DC uses diodes.

_H*

bwilson4web likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Some of the ones claiming vehicle-to-grid out the CCS-1 connector used MOSFETs. Not a practice I have any interest in.

I approve of NEMA style connectors if pulling AC from the battery.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  14. Billy80

Billy80 New Member