Mysterious range gain overnight??

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by FloridaSun, Jan 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

I parked my car last night in my garage and the SoC was 71% with 221 miles of range showing. This was at 10:30 PM, after I parked the Kona in the garage.

Now, it has happened before that I lost a mile of charge overnight but last night, the opposite happened.. I just checked with Bluelink (9:55 am) and my SoC is still 71% but my range increased by 1 mile and now shows 222 miles range.. Could this be a result of battery temperature change?
    It's kind of weird..

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Happens to me all the time. Most of the time lose 1 mile. But I've also seen it go up one mile. Same percentage state of charge though. I agree it could be temperature change. That never happened before the BMS updates.

4. FloridaSun

Yes, I have never seen that before the updates... I never see the percentage go down or up, just the range +/- 1 mile

5. Maybe a rodent that pushed your car back and forth in the garage gaining a mile through Regen?

6. FloridaSun

Mighty Mouse?

Esprit1st likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

probably temperature, and/or it adding the previous drive data to the driving history

9. FloridaSun

That may be it.. Even though I only drove 5 miles on my last trip, I got 6.5 mi/kwh on it which is much better than average..

10. Happens all the time for me.

11. FloridaSun

Another weird thing happened today.. I left my house with 222 miles range at 71% (showed estimated 250 miles @ 80%) and drove to my regular lunch place at which I arrived at 69%. My average miles/kwh on that trip was 5.2. Charged the car to 87% at that place and when it finished charging, it only showed 250 miles at 87% and estimate of 227 miles @ 80%.. Very weird that my 80% range dropped from 250 to 227 miles @ 80% after a 5.2 mi/kwh trip...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Perhaps it only increased from 221.99 to 222.00 ?

14. FloridaSun

that's very possible, but why would it increase at all? As I said before, the only reasons I could think of is battery temperature or delayed update of estimated range due to driving history (but why would that happen delayed?)

15. It was tired when you put it to bed. The next morning after it had slept well it realized it's calculating error.

16. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I keep reading the thread title as "Mysterious weight gain overnight".:D

17. After charging the car gets busy doing stuff that it didn't do prior to Campaign 196. Because it's depleting the aux battery during that time I'd suggest that it's evaluating the condition of the traction battery.
    In this case it may have decided that its SoC number, based on accumulated energy additions while charging, is slightly off kilter once the open-circuit voltage has been allowed to settled. This could be just as likely to reduce the SoC slightly as well, perhaps why some are owners are noticing a "1%" drop in displayed SoC not long after charging.

85CEE223-B2D0-4749-8BF5-86D755A23268_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  18. Anaglypta

Anaglypta Active Member

UK
    My weight gain is no mystery - too many visits to those golden arches.:D

John

KiwiME likes this.
  19. My percentage went up over night once. I only charge my car to 80%. Get in the car, 79%. Drove maybe 5km. Next morning, 83% The only reason I noticed is because of the charge limitation to 80%

20. OK, my situation was stated in error. Seems my charge limit is set to 90%, so my situation quoted above was incorrect. Just charged my car and noticed 90% as the limit - so no issue related to the OP. Sorry for adding bad data to the thread!

Esprit1st and KiwiME like this.