My range has decreased to 265 miles! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Paul DeLeon, Dec 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul DeLeon

Paul DeLeon Active Member

When I got my 2919 Kona, it charged to 326 miles. Now, a year and a half later, it's down to 265.
    I tried discharging it to 24 miles, charging slow, charging fast.. Just gets worse and worse. It is winter here, but the temperature is in the high 40s.
    Suggestions?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

The GoM shows your range based on your driving habits. Unlike Tesla, the Kona Guess o meter varies based on your driving.
    If you drive 300 miles just around town under 55mph with no AC or Heater use, your range will show 350 miles. If you drive 300 miles on the highway at 80mph with the heater on, your Guess o Meter will probably show less than 200 miles range.. For example, I drove just around town for 2 weeks and my range at 90% charge showed 309 miles. 1 week later, I drove 400 miles at mostly 75 to 80 mph and my 90% range was down to 230 miles or so..

Clamps likes this.
  4. Paul DeLeon

Thanks. Maybe the snow tires have something to do with it. Still, I would have to have averaged 5.2 m/kWhr to get the 320 I had.
    No doubt about it, the older I get, the better the past looks

5. I would love to have 265 miles available. For me the cold temperature are causing a severe drop in actual range. Was -24C yesterday my range dropped to actual 140 miles on full charge. Almost half my consumption is just to keep the windows unfrosted.
    [​IMG]

6. FloridaSun

Tires alone can make a significant difference.. Also, low battery temperature hurts efficiency.. If your battery temperature is below mid 70's, you will have worse efficiency, even if you don't run heater or AC.

KiwiME likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul DeLeon

I spray the windshield with Invisible Glass anti-fog. It works for about 3 days.

9. Do you have your climate set to Death Valley and drive like you're on the straightaway at Le Mans? I have driven in minus 30c and have never been lower than 330km on the GOM. Something is kooky.

10. Paul DeLeon

330 km= 205 miles.
    I was griping about having only 263 miles = 423 km
    Looks like I'm not alone.

11. I was replying re: Apu's 140 miles/226km.

Domenick likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

I could see a 100% range of around 140 miles very possible.. Just yesterday, I drove in unusually cool (around 48 F/9 C) and rainy weather at about 80 mph for 55 miles and my average was 3.3 mi/kwh. I did not use the heater.. Heater use takes about 30% off the range or even more in very cold temps.. If someone drives in normal or sports mode with the heater at full blast at 80 mph, you may only get 2.2 to 2.3 mi/kwh.. 2.2 x 64 = 140.8 miles.. I don't have any personal experience with heater use but what I've read, it's 30% range loss..

14. Nope, the picture showing the consumption was from a 20km city trip where speed never exceeded 60kmh/38mph. The the car stays outdoors that particular day the overnight low dipped below -30C and it was -24C during the trip. The car was indicating an average consumption of 3.5km per kilowatt by the end of the trip(3.5 x 64 = 224 km or 140 miles). Incidentally, when I drive highway trips at -10C ay 100km/hr or 62 mph on flat roads with minimal headwind I am lucky to get 290 actual Kms on a full charge, despite GOM predicting 340km +. If you look at the picture you may note that a full 49% of the battery energy is diverted to something other( mostly cabin heating and window defrosting) than traction, so for me it makes complete sense.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
    Wildeyed likes this.
  15. I just seems really low range to me given that I've driven in very similar conditions and gotten the extra 50+km. Winter's here again so I guess I'll get a chance to see if I continue with similar milage this season or drop into your range.

16. Paul DeLeon

Thing of it is...
    I drove the same places with the same tires last year without the reduction. I'd like some direct measure of battery capacity.

17. I had a look at my records from last winter and I was getting the same consumption at low temperatures of around 3.5 km per kilowatt at ~ -25C to -30C. I found an old pic when the car was fairly new with around 2000km and -30C, it shows consumption at 2km per kw in the first few kms and as I recall it would rise to between 3.2 and 3.5km depending on the length of the trip. Incidentally I typically keep my cabin temperature between 20 and 22C if it helps the perspective on my picture.

[​IMG]

As far as another data point, this morning it was -6C and my consumption efficiency went to 4.8 km per Kw during a 40km highway trip to work at 100km hour. For me my consumption is unchanged, has the actual capacity of the battery changed I don't really know but I don't think so. Anyways winter is probably not a great time to verify total battery capacity/ range.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  18. I see one difference in that I always drive in Eco mode. Other than that, maybe I'm just lucky...so far. ;)

19. FloridaSun

Eco mode certainly makes a difference as the car allocated less energy to the heater.
    I'd think that using ECO driving mode and AUTO on climate control, range will be significantly higher..

20. Paul DeLeon

By going to Settings, you can set the heater to Eco mode separately.