My first long trip

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Kerbe, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Kerbe

Kerbe Active Member

...from Southwestern MS to Northeastern PA and NYC.

Total of 3028.3 miles, almost entirely in HV mode: Maybe 80 miles in EV mode...

Two 1200 mile drives, each starting with a full charge, ended with about 2/3 charge.

I did not keep track of fuel added so, just using the Clarity's own estimation, I got 48.4 mpg.

I am not displeased.

Robert_Alabama and Mowcowbell like this.
  2. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Active Member

I find Clarity, in general, to be very comfortable (or as comfortable as any car) on a long trip. The adaptive cruise control and similar features make more sense to me on a long trip.

Also years ago I had some back pain and got a 'back board' which forces better posture when sitting (it's cloth covered, and adds lumbar support). Anyway, on really long trips I find the board helps force me to sit in a position less likely to get 'butt pain' which is actually back pain. Anyway, that's my only add to Clarity on a 3000 plus mile trip (which I have done here out west). Like you (I think), I found the fuel economy totally impressive. I did not for example travel at lower speed to improve it- I likely went mostly 80mph where I could to reduce travel time, and I still got 40 mpg.

3. DaleL

DaleL Active Member

Based on my own road trip last year, in which I did measure fuel used, I found my Clarity's trip computer exaggerated mpg by about 10%. The longest drive that I have made was a trip from Florida to Ohio and back. The total trip distance was 2032.2 miles. I fueled a total of 8 times and used 45.8 gallons. Overall mileage was 44.4 mpg. If I subtract out the approximately 50 miles that were driven in EV mode, the gasoline mileage was still a respectable 43.3 mpg.

4. Kerbe

Kerbe Active Member

Oops, typo: 3208.3 miles...