My 2021 Kona EV

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by ScubaSteve, Dec 28, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Hi,

I have had this 2021 Preferred model since late September, 2020. Ordered it in late August and was told it could come in from mid-Fall to February, 2021; it was a surprise to receive it as quick as it came in, even the dealer was surprised.

Just back from a recall on the brakes (software update done in 30 minutes). My 2021 is, so far, not affected by any of the recalls seen on the 2019-2020 models and has been running fantastic. I'll see how the -20C temps affect this vehicle - should be interesting since I will, normally, not drive this vehicle from November to April; this year is an exception.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada on the north shore of Lake Ontario.

Have a Happy New Year!!

Cheers, Steve
    PXL_20200926_213024471.jpg PXL_20200925_155045925.jpg DSC06739.JPG PXL_20200926_213024471.jpg PXL_20200925_155045925.jpg DSC06739.JPG

nigels, Maple, DaveO and 6 others like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Nice pictures and great color combination, happy to hear everything worked out on the brake recall as mine is going in on Jan 7th.
    Just a note ...I would not update the nav system yet as apparently we lose some functionality as posted in the map update thread (10.25" screen).
    I Never get tired of positive owner reviews:)

4. persianrider

persianrider Member

It's nice to know that this forum keeps me more up to date on recalls than the dealer.....

These clowns called me last week to book an appointment for a 6k "maintenance" .... the car has 4k on it... it's also a 2021

I just slapped the VIN in the hyundai canada website and long behold!!! RECALL ISSUED on the 17th for the brakes

Idiots are too busy trying to force me into 6k maintenance intervals when it's clearly written on Hyundai Canada's website, once a year

Domenick likes this.
  5. I see Steve has a preferred Kona so he doesn't have to worry about the Nav system update. As far as I know there have been zero updates on the basic non nav head units, which of course is absolutely fine.

Congratulation on the new Kona Steve, love the color :)

ScubaSteve likes this.

6. Hey ScubaSteve, any chance that you had your Kona parked at Lake Ontario Park in Kingston this past August or September? It was the only red Kona that I have seen in our area, other than my 2019 Ultimate, which is the same colour. .....Rickker

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Sorry, just re-read your post and you didn't even get you Kona until September. Just disregard my previous reply.

9. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

The Preferred model doesn't have the Nav system. Besides with Android Auto's ability to use Google Maps or Waze, I didn't want the Nav.

I really like the Ceramic blue colour but wanted one with a black roof (Hyundai don't use that colour combination). Saw a "sold" 2020 sitting at the dealer's that had the red/black combo and liked that equally so ordered my 2021 with those colours. You'll note that my 2021 still has the "dimples" and is not one of the refreshed 2021s. They really should move the charging port to the side of the vehicle, though, since the door has frozen.

For more positive news, when temps were warmer, back in late September, early October, I was driving around 480 to 490 real world Kms (GOM showed 512 Km). Highway speeds of 80 Kms. Currently have winter tires on it but haven't gone for a drive on snow covered highways ... yet. This is one fun car to drive! Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  10. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Although I do go into Kingston for the restaurants or shopping, I haven't been to Lake Ontario Park. My Kona has a black roof too.

11. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Active Member

Yes, I found out about this recall via this forum too; entered my VIN and booked the appointment. Called back a few days later to confirm the appointment and found out it wasn't booked. But was able to re-book for the date/time I originally wanted. Cheers, Steve

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

Steve if you have a spare $1000.00 You should get all the grey brushed gladding wrapped with the 3m product I did that and after 2years it's good as newnew. upload_2021-1-2_12-35-43.png

Clamps likes this.
  14. Wow GPM, that looks great.

15. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

What usually happens to that grey gladding is it starts to fade so I did this. That wrap material is great. Still sticking and no flaws I'm happy with the result.

16. Just curious what the on board charger is rated at for the 2021 model, either 7.2KW or ~11KW?

Thanks
    Michael Howell

electriceddy likes this.
  17. The output power indicated on the label on my 2021 model (manufacture date Sept 2020) is 7.2 kW single phase.
    The 3 phase 11kW on board charger is for European models only;)
    https://insideevs.com/news/348498/hyundai-kona-electric-11-kw-charger/

mho likes this.
  18. Not to mention that for markets where the Type 1 (J1772) is the standard charge port, a 3-phase on-board changer would be pointless.

electriceddy likes this.