Mustart 40 amp level 2 home charger

Discussion in 'General' started by Decofla, Sep 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Decofla

Decofla New Member

My Mustart level 2 40 amp home charger is only charging at a 5 per hour rate. It is plugged to a 14-50 outlet and a 50 amp breaker. What could be the issue? From my research, suppose to charge much faster than that right?
    charger display shows 2.0KW / 0.294KWH
    Thank you all for the help.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. A little more information would be helpful. What car are you charging? You say it is charging at 5 per hr. 5 what per hr? Kilowatts, miles, kilometers?

4. Decofla

Decofla New Member

Sorry, I tried to add a pic of the charger screen , but couldn't do it. charger screen shows 2.0kw, 0.294kwh, 8A. So it is charger at a 8A rate. the charging screen in the car is showing 5 miles per hour. I have a VW ID4 PRO S Gradient. 2021
    Thank you!

5. This is definitely charging slower than what would be expected. At 40 amps you should be seeing about 9.6 kw/hr and a charge rate somewhere around 25miles per hour. The question then is? Is the car limiting the evse to 8 amps or is the evse defective. Or is there an issue with the plug. You could try a few troubleshooting options. Test the evse on a different plug if you have access to one. Test the car on a different evse (maybe a public charger if one is close by) test the plug and car with a different evse (may be a friend has one you could borrow?)

Is it possible to limit the charge from your evse or the ID4? My charger has different amp settings as well as my kona has the ability to limit the charge. I am not that familiar with the Id4 set up. May be check the manual or also post in the ID 4 section

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Sounds like one leg is down:
    • 1st hot leg 120 VAC relative to neutral
    • 2nd hot leg 120 VAC relative to neutral but 240 VAC to 1st hot leg
    • neutral, not really used unless one leg is down
    • safety ground - drawing current here is BAD BAD THING!
    If your EVSE plugs into some kind of wall outlet, please take a photo. We can talk you through how to use a 'cheap' VOM to fault isolate at the plug. Then next step means going to the circuit breaker box and finding out if one has tripped.

Do you have any regular outlets that have stopped working? If so, one leg is down.

Bob Wilson

Kirk likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rcarter3636

rcarter3636 Member

I’m guessing it is getting overheated thus reducing charging rates.
    My advice would be to ditch this cheaply made charger and go with a name brand that will offer at least a 3 year warranty. These can be had for $150 or so more.