Model Y OR VW ID4 AWD Pro S

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Kenstl, Aug 8, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

Finally have decided to make the dive in to the EV world and replace my truck for my commute and work. It has been impossible to find either vehicle to test drive, but I have been able to view, sit in, and review the interior workings. This is mainly a commute, but also used for a family of 4, so the room is attractive on both vehicles. I am a tall person, so any of the smaller vehicles or low to the ground vehicles, are pretty much out.

Anyone driven both or owned both that you could give me some feedback? My initial breakdown looks a little like this: (mostly based on reviews as I have not driven either)

Cost: MY - $68,000 ID4 AWD Pro S $53,000 (approximately $15k difference)
    Rebate: Possibly both, depending on the new law. If I could still get the VW this year, it would
    come with a $7500 tax rebate
    Software and charging: Tesla
    Fun Factor: Tesla probably
    Higher Resale: Tesla probably
    Range: MY 330 vs VW AWD Pro S at 255. From tests I have seen, the MY seems to fall quite
    a bit short of their number, where the VW comes very close to theirs, so there may
    only be a "real" difference of less than 20 miles?
    Road comfort: VW from everything I have seen
    Fit and Finish of Panels: VW probably
    Fit and Finish of Interior: VW probably
    Free Charging: VW for 3 years

Seeing all of the above, it is hard to justify paying 28% more for the MY, but part of feels the MY may provide a more "current" car over the years. I will be driving 25,000 miles a year, so a 3 or 4 year hold trade. Any thoughts from any of you that have experienced both?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

You don't say where you live. However if you live next to a large city, you could try renting from Turo. You can usually find two or three Model Ys to rent. If you get lucky, you may find a ID4 and few others to rent. You may have better luck renting after the summer vacation push.

The National Drive Electric Week happens the end of September. I'm sure you will find owners of both vehicles at many of the events.
    https://driveelectricweek.org/

Anyhow, it seems like a tough decision. I personally find the Model Y to be overpriced. However, if Tesla can get FSD to work, the resale value may go though the roof. If you plan to keep the car for several years, then the software updates may put a smile on your face with a Tesla. Then you have the Tesla charging network, which is the only one I would trust for long distance driving.

Tesla's fit and finish is all over the place. Honestly, I was shocked to see the mismatch in the front fenders on the Texas made Model Y shown on one of the latest Munro videos.

I suspect that the price difference becomes less of an issue if keep the vehicle a long, long time. I would check to see how far you are away from the VW and Tesla service centers, as that could be a real pain if you have to use one.