Mitigating Scratches to Centre Console

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Yellerledbetty, Sep 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey all,

What’s the going consensus IMG_4278.JPG for avoiding the annoying and seemingly ‘unavoidable’ (w/ kids at least) scratches that so prominently show up on the silver/metallic finish around the shifter buttons and cover for charging tray? #ExcuseTheDust

IMG_4277.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Birth control? ;)

Dgercp55 likes this.
  4. Its a very poor durability painted finish, we had a scratch on ours before the car was even delivered. Short of trying to get it wrapped in a vinyl, or repainted with a proper 2 stage base/clear coat I don't know what else you can do.

5. XtsKonaTrooper

XtsKonaTrooper Well-Known Member

Wear gloves or plastidip it. Hehehe

6. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I can't even see what you're talking about in the pictures. Personally, I expect the interior of any car
    I own to get a little beat up through normal use ... and if it's essentially my "work truck", so be it.
    That flip-down cover is pretty useless, I just leave it open.

I'm with Wildeyed here...

_H*

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. We have a product here called Contact. It's just self adhesive vinyl film, comes in various patterns and colours and clear, often used for covering and protecting books. I've used it to protect similar surfaces on a couple of vehicles. It is very thin, unobtrusive and fairly low tack so can be easily removed if you stuff up application or want to replace it.

Looking at the phone number, it appears to be from USA, so you'll be able to find it.
    (https://con-tactbrand.com/collections/self-adhesive-creative-covering)

9. My dealer has scratched my Kona's console during a service, presumably from placing a laptop or similar there for updates. I could piss and moan about it but I won't because this is how things roll here when your car is serviced.

10. Dgercp55

Dgercp55 New Member

When your battery bricks, don’t bang your keyfob on console.

Ginginova likes this.
  11. If it's painted, as Apu says, you could try a mild polish, maybe even a plastic polish. I'd bet the paint is thin though, so the risk is that you'd rub through it over a small area, which would then look more obvious than the scratches. Look closely to see if you can see a different colour beneath the scratches. If you can't, they might polish out but aware of the risk.

I've had cars with scratchable aluminum trim on the console. The first no-no is tossing the keys onto the console. The second relates to rings and bracelets. Kids, well that's part of the price for all that joy.

12. To remove this ad click here.