Mini teases "Something thrilling is coming"

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Sep 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Is that 'S' on the grille yellow, or red?

upload_2021-9-29_16-38-9.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

It doesn't look like the next-level JCW. If it's not the un-rumored but frequently requested SE Convertible, it's probably just a "thrilling" cosmetic package, which is something MINI is wont to do when sales need a boost.

4. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

Well, its sporty hood scoop probably raises *some peoples'* blood pressure...

5. polyphonic

polyphonic Well-Known Member

Are those side scuttles (electric) yellow? ...enhance...

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

The only new model it could reasonably be is the new smaller version, of which there have been spy shots of it being tested. Nothing else has been seen that far into development.

But more likely a special edition SE (aka special paint/interior), or more remotely the GPE. I don't see how a JCWE could make sense, since the current SE is just a wee bit less powerful than the ICE JCW but the SE batteries overheat too easily. Maybe fancy suspension, but doesn't seem like a big deal for the SE.

Some site suggested a specialized body like the Red Bull MINI (minus the can).

[​IMG]

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

I found a 1920 x 1080 pixel version of this image, blew it up and brightened the side scuttles. Maybe I see a touch of yellow in the front S logo.

Can someone with a 2022 SE take a photo of their front grille from above to compare with this grille?

upload_2021-9-29_21-50-22.png

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    polyphonic likes this.
  9. insightman

Front "S":
    upload_2021-9-29_22-5-43.png

polyphonic likes this.
  10. Sully151

Sully151 Member

Sorry kids, but I don’t see any yellow. I don’t know much about MINI, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to do a new version of the SE when you can’t even get the current SE’s on the lot.

11. insightman

Well, if you can get more money from the people willing to wait...

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Three tone roof with matching wheels on red car. ;)

insightman likes this.
  14. cmdonnell

cmdonnell Member

Usually in these teaser announcements there's some sort of pun in what they put out there. If it was an electric something they'd have said made a lame pun like 'You'll get a charge out of what we're doing in October' or 'This is gonna be a jolt to the entire auto industry' or 'Get amped up for fall' or 'You're not gonna have to watt long to see what we're up to'... okay might be stretching on that last one.

'Thrill' doesn't say much. Although it's October and Halloween so I'm gonna guess a Dracula Blood-Red Edition?

Texas22Step, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  15. insightman

16. I wonder if this has something to do with the "moto-tober" event..this is an older ad but maybe they're offering discounts before the next year model comes out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Texas22Step and insightman like this.
  17. insightman

I hope the "something thrilling" is not the early arrival of MINI's version of Great Wall Motors' ORA "Good Cat" that Motoring File claims will be the basis for the next MINI Electric. Compared with the MINI Cooper SE, the ORA "Good Cat" is longer (4,235 cm), wider (1,825 cm), taller (1,596 cm), heavier (3,300 lbs), and has less horsepower (143 hp) and torque (155 lb-ft), but offers maybe up to 200 miles of range per charge.

Of course, MINI will change the body to look more like a MINI Cooper, but if they install a more powerful motor, that will probably negate the greater range and increase the weight beyond the 3,300 lbs. reported in the linked review. Here's another, earlier, review.

This photo shows the GT version of the ORA "Good Cat," which has added fake front air scoops (MINI will undoubtedly add a fake hood scoop, too), but the same 143 horsepower as the scoopless Good Cat.

upload_2021-10-3_1-55-49.png

18. moofpup

moofpup Active Member

Love it!

19. I'm a fan of convertibles, so I kind of hope this is the case. I was on the MINI site tonight and I noticed the words "Hardtop" in the model name. Is that new, or had I simply just missed it before?
    Hardtop.jpg

Texas22Step likes this.
  20. Teddydogno1

Teddydogno1 Active Member

Has been like that the whole time as far as I know. At least since I started looking in July.

Rob

Texas22Step, GvilleGuy and Domenick like this.
  21. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Texas22Step likes this.
  22. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member