Mini Takes the States 2022

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GetOffYourGas, Feb 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

https://www.minitakesthestates.com/

I am seriously considering one or both of the first two legs of this year's MTTS. I am trying to plan this out with the current QC infrasructure. Has anyone done this in a gas Mini? Anyone else considering doing part in their SE?

According to the website's FAQs:

"Due to the daily drive distances and limited charging infrastructure along the scenic back roads route, the MINI Cooper SE is not well-suited to a rally of this nature. Charging opportunities will not be built into daily drives."

So they aren't planning in charging...but can I? When do we learn specific details of the routes? Or do they never tell you; you just show up and follow the crowd?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

My guess (from experience) is that the planners are all ICE owners, and they don't much care about those of us who "abandoned" tradition.

SameGuy likes this.
  4. GetOffYourGas

Probably true. But again, when do we learn the specific route? Is it just a "show up and follow me" event? Or is it mapped out ahead of time? I'm more adventurous than most and would happily take a little detour to charge for half an hour, and then rejoin the route. I don't even care if I lose the group after the first 75 miles.

5. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

At the bottom of that web page is this link: DOWNLOAD MTTS 2022 OVERVIEW GRID (PDF)

If I plug those destinations into A Better Route Planner, adjust the "Charging Stops" slider towards "Shorter Legs", and assume the weather will be 88F, it appears to be entirely feasible to take the SE. I don't know if the official MTTS route will take a specific path that deviates from what ABRP recommends, though. Nor have I researched all of the fast charging stops along the way to see how many stations each has. But I think it would be super-cool to try hitting those destinations.

I live in the Kansas City area, so the logistics of getting out to the east coast and back (let alone with the ongoing pandemic) gives me pause.

6. LaurieS

LaurieS Active Member

I’ve done parts of MTTS a couple of times over the years. The routes are usually given out each day at the Rise and Shines. They go specific routes and plan stops along the way for the group. Scenic or touristy stops usually. Past years there were evening events so there were time constraints on finishing the route by a specific time. It looks like this year every night is on your own except the last two. They plan a lot of off the beaten path routes so charging may be limited. There is a phone number and email at the bottom of the event page if you want to check more in depth.

wessy, GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, @LaurieS! Those constraints definitely put SE drivers at a disadvantage.

LaurieS likes this.
  9. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I’ve done part of MTTS 2018 in my gas mini. It was fun. They started morning send off with hundreds if not close to thousand minis lining up and they have breakfast and a few festivity. you get to the next destination and repeat the next morning. There didn’t seem to have a planned route. You just need to get to the next place. Few of us from local club would plan and tag along together. Some complained they didn’t know anyone and didn’t really rally together. The finale was both coasts routes meets in keystone resort Colorado. And there were few days of planned event.
    Not sure if the next one is like the same format. You get to the next destination on your own time and route by the next day along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

wessy, GetOffYourGas and MichaelC like this.
  10. GetOffYourGas

Interesting. Sounds like I won't have much time to plan my own SE-friendly route. I do know about ABRP, but the focus there is to get from A to B as efficiently as possible. The point of this rally is to hit some back roads and have some fun. I'll see if I can't get more info from the organizers (I have been trying) but it may just not work out, sadly.

wessy and Denise C like this.
  11. GetOffYourGas

I reached out to Mini USA on FB and they got back to me. They said they are using an app to provide participants with waypoint-by-waypoint directions. It sounds like they really just release each leg the morning of, making it nearly impossible for me to plan out how to make it work. I may try it anyway, since I know where the chargers are and I am pretty comfortable with the range of my car at this point. If I do, it will certainly be an adventure!

wessy, Denise C, LaurieS and 2 others like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

I have no experience with this (new to me) app since I don't have an Apple phone anyway, but this is an interesting article anyway about a new "game changer" app called Chargeway. Maybe it will be useful to you?

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  14. GetOffYourGas

I had not heard of Chargeway, I will check that out.

ABRP also has a web interface at abetterrouteplanner.com. I find that useful for checking out a trip ahead of time, and finding potential chargers to use. I then typically use PlugShare for more up to date info.

15. GetOffYourGas

Ok so apparently I had heard of Chargeway at some point since I had it downloaded (and buried in a folder) on my phone. I am trying to use it but it seems very light on features I want, and not very useful overall. How is this “game changing” I wonder? I will have to watch those videos. Kyle does a good job with his YouTube videos.

Ultimately it seems like it may provide more real-time assistance rather than the plan-ahead value of ABRP, which frankly I find more useful.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
    Texas22Step likes this.
  16. Texas22Step

Texas22Step Well-Known Member

As noted before in other posts, I have no personal experience with the Chargeway app (I have an Android phone) to evaluate it one way or another, but I do wonder about its current incarnation. The InsideEVs article to which I linked (with the "game changer" description) is dated Feb 8, 2022. Maybe the app hasn't been updated and made better, but maybe it has?

(I am actually giving some thought to purchase of a new smartphone (principally because of my MINI SE's incompatibility with Android phones) and am considering whether to switch to an Apple device this time.)

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  17. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

Regarding Apple phones - my family has a diverse collection - and we have found that iPhone 12 and 13 are very reliable with the wireless Apple CarPlay. (I am actually spoiled - I roll my eyes when I have to plug my phone into other vehicles with wired CarPlay - lol) iPhone X was fairly inconsistent in its CarPlay behavior, having periodic trouble waking up and connecting to CarPlay.