Mini SE 2020 tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Coconuts, Apr 27, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Coconuts

Coconuts New Member

Hey guys I’m new to the forum and I haven’t owned a vehicle before this one so I’m not familiar with how tires work.

My mini SE 2020 came with 205/45 r17 Ventus s1evo3 summer tires but last year one of them got a bubble from a pothole. Mini sold me a tire that is apparently incompatible with EVs on top of the fact that it’s a run-flat (ventus s1evo2) and I was not aware at the time. Anyway, fast forward to today, I went to change back to summer tires and I was told that one of them had a hole where the steel was showing and that it was too dangerous to drive with.

I am currently looking to replace all 4 of my summer tires since I can’t find hankook ventus s1 evo3 205/45 r17 88W anywhere and I contacted a tire shop who informed me that high performant tires like this one are very easily worn down (I’ve had less than 10k km on both broken tires) and that I should be looking for less performant tires. Every website that’s selling tires is suggesting sport tires and my local mini recommended me the continental extreme contact tires. What would you guys recommend?

The tire shop told me to buy Nexen N-FERA supreme tires since they’re cheaper and have a better range and durability and he informed me that the current hankooks that I own are made to drive at 200km/h on nice flat streets (I live in Qc there are potholes everywhere). Is it even compatible with the car? I don’t know who to believe anymore and can’t find information online about what makes a tire incompatible/compatible with EVs such as the mini SE.

TLDR: I would like to know what tires I should buy for my mini SE that are 205/45 r17 88W and I’m looking for good longevity and I don’t drive super fast (max 120km/h). Thanks!!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm surprised your MINI dealer was clueless that the SE is the only MINI Cooper that doesn't have run-flat tires. The one consideration regarding tires you didn't mention was range. MINI chose the tires they put on the SE for both cornering performance and good range. Usually those two qualities can't be found in the same tire, but MINI did a good job of balancing the two.

Some members of this forum have switched to even stickier tires that provide less range on a charge--and probably less longevity, too. You say you're willing to sacrifice performance for longevity, so perhaps you should look into tires made specifically for EVs and hybrid cars.

Cindy B likes this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Salut Coconuts! ÀMHA, mon char est une investissement, alors je me fierait au concessionaire pour les pièces de rechange, mais pour des pneus je trust Lorenzo chez LA Pneus à Vaudreuil. La MINI est une voiture haute performances avec assez de torque, donc elle mérite des pneus à haute performances aussi.

5. Coconuts

Coconuts New Member

IKR I don't quite understand how they could've sold me the wrong tire, but now I've slightly lost trust in my local retailer due to this mistake that could've caused one of my original tires to get a deep hole into it. I won't lie I'm not certain what good performance translates into when driving, but because it's labeled as a sports tire I didn't think it was right for my driving style. I was under the impression that the problems I had with my old tires was the high performance and thus lower durability, but maybe I'm just not aware of the expected life of these EV tires. About those specifically made for EV tires that you mentioned, how or where would I find them? Do you have any recommendations for a 205/45 r17 88W? I can't seem to find the original hankook tires anywhere, even my mini retailer says it would take 4 months to get them if even possible. Also, thanks for answering :)

Cindy B likes this.
  6. Coconuts

Coconuts New Member

Hey SameGuy, merci pour ta réponse, c'est quels pneus exactement que Lorenzo t'a recommandé? J'ai toujours peur que les concessionnaires ne sont pas super familiers avec les véhicules électriques puisqu'il y en a moins et c'est plutôt nouveau. C'est quoi la durée de vie que je devrais m'attendre à avoir sur mes pneus haute performance et as-tu déjà eu des problèmes avec ces pneus? Il me semble que 2 pneus petés en 1 an et demi c'est plus que la norme.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bmartinez028

bmartinez028 Active Member

Pirelli and Goodyears also come on the SE with 17” wheels. Here is the Pirelli model available thru Tire Rack.

IMG_4221.JPG

SameGuy likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

@Coconuts indicated he's willing to trade his short-lived ultra-high summer performance tires for tires with longer tread life. I found this Hankook Optimo H426 tire that promises 60,000 miles and good fuel-efficiency (ie. battery range), and is available in the SE's 205/45R17 size. I really like the Hankook ultra-high summer performance tires that came on my SE, so I stopped looking for competitors after finding this tire (OK, OK, I'm lazy).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    SameGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    I don’t have my car yet, but I called to reserve a set of Nokian winter tires for next season, and asked him about the apparent lack of non-run-flat summer tires in this size. Lorenzo and I have both had good experiences with Continental all-seasons on our German cars, and he suggested that the ExtremeContact ticks all the boxes: XL, 88 load rating, excellent tread life, and a high UTQG (560). Ces pneus sont même dispos en ligne chez PMC.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Some notes on tires to keep in mind:
    • The SE (and all EVs) are heaver than normal cars, so you should be looking for XL rated tires.
    • The instant torque of EVs wears out tires faster than ICE cars, so expect shorter life.
    • Have a look at the Delivery Spreadsheet, it shows which tires people have gotten with their SEs.
    Finally, for any tire you're looking at I recommend tracking down the EU Tire Label, it's a great way to judge performance characteristics. Here's the label for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires that came on my SE.

[​IMG]

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Congratulations on your Mini-E!

Given the rapid changes in Quebec weather, I recommend something designed for wet (or snowy) roads. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=CrossClimate2

It *may* be worthwhile to purchase a set of steel rims for Winter with dedicated snow tires, if your regular tires are insufficient..

Be aware that any tire with better grip will adversely affect your power consumption - and cold weather reduces range.

14. SameGuy

YUL
    We do get summer up here, eh? ;) Winter-rated tires (with the mountain-snowflake icon) are mandatory in Québec from December 1 to March 15, and many (if not most) car owners have a dedicated set of winter wheels.

All our cars always get a set of Hakkas (currently R3s for my smaller cars, studless 9s for the wife’s Crosstrek), though I did buy mom a set of compliant Toyo Celsius all-weather tires that were very impressive in most conditions year-round for her limited driving.

But back to Québec “weather”: on most of my cars, the summer wheels have sticky, high-performance tires like Yokohama S.drive (or its successor, Advan), or Toyo Proxes. Fast-wearing, but stuck like flypaper in dry or wet conditions above 7°C/45°F. The snow only really starts flying here in December, with the occasional November dump. If I know we’ll be getting that stuff, the fun cars stay in the garage, but if it looks like cooler temperatures have settled in for the season, I’m spending an afternoon swapping all the tires.

15. Puppethead

I run my SE on Hakkapeliitta R3s in the winter and see essentially no range drop from my summer tires, they're very good.

Laker2016 and SameGuy like this.
  16. Carsten Haase

Carsten Haase Well-Known Member

Do you mean the OEM summers? If so, that's impressive! I wanted hakkas but they were out of stock. Have you been tracking your efficiency enough to have an average for summer vs winter?

My X-ICE Snow tires have close to the same efficiency as my UPH all seasons but both are much worse than the Hankook Ventus Prime3s the car came with.

(3.5mi/kWh winter, 3.7 A/S, and 4.7 OEM summer, long term averages)

david9999999 and SameGuy like this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    I just logged into Spritmonitor.de for the first time in a long long long time, I didn’t know it still existed! Apparently they have iOS and Android apps, and you can add electric vehicles now — and there are several Cooper SEs in the database.

What does everybody here use to track efficiency?

18. Puppethead

Yes I've been tracking almost every trip. Some day I'd like to turn the data into a graph. My -3 ºF trip with no heat was on my winter wheels and I got 4.84 mi/kWh.

SameGuy likes this.
  19. SameGuy

YUL
    It may take a bit but you can enter all your archived data on Spritmonitor, and it generates graphs and averages. From there you can pull down CSVs to manipulate the data as you like.

MichaelC likes this.
  20. Zim

Zim Member

For the 205/45/17, there appears to be quite the option range for performance tires, but less so on the touring/grand touring all season front. If pothole resilience and ride comfort are important, consider downsizing to 16 inch wheels for thicker sidewalls and what appears to be a larger option range of touring/grand touring tires...at least on the 195/55/16 side. Efficiency will most likely increase with the smaller diameter wheels, but the cost may be curb appeal, subjectively.

Performance tires on 16 inch wheels will also offer thicker sidewalls for extra cushion, but again, less high performance/summer options available for the 195/55/16 size.

The 205/55/16 tire size will also increase options, while adding cushion. Depending on the 16 inch wheels installed, the wider tire section width (of 205 tires) may interfere with the struts, but that depends largely on the wheel width and offset. Your OE 17 inch wheels are 7 inches wide (I believe), finding a 16 inch wheel with similar dimensions shouldn't be too difficult. I went with the black Sparco Terra wheels (16 by 7 inches wide). An online wheel calculator showed the same inboard wheel clearance with a 1/2 inch outboard extension.....surprisingly increasing curb appeal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Cindy B and MichaelC like this.
  21. Hatch

Hatch Active Member

PA
    Every car we've owned lately has gotten a set of General AltiMAX RT43. RAV4, CRV, Corolla hatchback. We're very happy with these tires. When it's time to replace the summer tires on the MINI SE, i plan on going with these also.

They seem to have good grip for all season and last a long time. They come in XL load rating for the 17" size, but the difference in load rating between 16's and 17's is so small IMO (1201 vs 1235) that i would personally get these in either size.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43&partnum=045VR7AMRT43XL
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43&partnum=955VR6AMRT43

22. Cindy B

Cindy B Member

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with the tires and your dealer. It seems like the dealer has some financial obligation for selling you the wrong tire. We were worried about the pothole/rough road issues with the 17" wheels based on past experience. Consequently we bought our SE with factory 16" wheels. We've had no issues with the OEM 16" Hankooks our SE came with. If you continue to have tire issues, you may want to consider selling your 17" wheels and switch to 16" wheels.

insightman likes this.