Mini Cooper SE no "intelligent cruise control"?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by 1nickatnite1, Nov 30, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Hi everyone, it's my first post but I've been stalking this forum for great information.

I managed to pick up a new 2023 Mini SE for $3500 off MSRP off the lot and I just noticed I don't think the car comes with intelligent cruise control even though it shows it on the window sticker. I haven't reached out to the dealer yet but my quick google search seems to show some SEs indeed don't have it due to the chip shortage. Is this an option to add in future? I'm guessing no, I'm just surprised the window sticker still showed it but the car obviously doesn't have the functionality. Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Louis W

Louis W Member

Adaptive cruise has had mixed availability this past year. Sometimes it was only available with the Iconic trim line and other times not at all. What does the item on your sticker say? If it's on the window sticker, then it should be included.

4. Rogwp

Rogwp Active Member Subscriber

Run your VIN though one of the decoders and check what the car was built with. Regular cruise control is 544 and active cruise control is 541. I ordered 541, but my car came with 544 because of the chip shortage.

Check out “bimmer.work”

Lainey and SameGuy like this.
  5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle New Member

If the car is delivered with less equipment than what was ordered - do dealers or mini give a discount?

6. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Probably but the credit is often much less than the actual value. Ugh.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Rogwp

In my case 541 was shown as an up charge on the original invoice (optional extra), but when the car was delivered without 541 the final invoice was reduced by the same amount.

9. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Thanks for the link! I used it and it shows "544 Dynamic Cruise Control"

I checked my window sticker again and it has "Dynamic Cruise Control with braking function" so that appears to line up. I had just assumed dynamic meant adaptive but I guess not in mini-speech?

Rogwp likes this.
  10. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Dynamic cruise control’s “braking function” just means it uses the brakes to maintain a steady speed going down hills. Adaptive cruise on the MINI is called “Active Cruise Control with stop & go.”

11. We ordered with an HK and it arrived without, the dealer gave us ceramic coating and a stubby antenna.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rogwp

Some people have retrofitted active cruise control; suggest you start your search here https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/f55-f56-hatch-talk-2014/347020-option-541-active-cruise-control-acc.html

14. 1nickatnite1

1nickatnite1 Member

Rogwp likes this.
  15. Rogwp

You’re welcome. I wanted ACC as it seemed a safety feature considering the way people drive here (lower mainland, BC, Canada)! People do cut in a lot on the urban freeway, I’ve had the “big red car” show up a few times, but no braking required. After 4 months and only having to use my brakes 5 times, I don’t really think I need ACC.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  16. SameGuy

YUL
    To be quite honest, it works, but it doesn’t work anywhere near as well (or as reliably) as the ACC on any Asian-brand car, so IMO it’s not worth the price I paid as an option, and no way is it good enough to spend the money and effort to retrofit it to the SE.

My biggest complaint isn’t even that it cuts out randomly (as so many here have complained about), but rather that the minimum following distance one can set is still unbelievably long for anybody who drives on urban and suburban freeways. People keep spotting this huge gap and move into it, and the car stabs the brakes hard. It is frankly less safe than it should be in most of my driving environment.

Louis W, Texas22Step, carrrl and 5 others like this.
  17. Rogwp

Good to know, and thank you for the insight.

SameGuy likes this.
  18. amtrucker22

amtrucker22 New Member

I use my ACC daily. My round trip to work is about 80 miles. The road I drive on is only a 2 lane road so the distance between me and the car in front of me is great. The ACC does cut out for me when driving directly into sunlight for extended periods of time, or if there are a lot of shadows on the road. I have found that you can turn off ACC and make it the standard cruise control by long pressing the distance between cars button.

ACC was a must for me when picking my Mini. I wish it had active lane centering which would of made my daily trips to work much more enjoyable. Overall I give the ACC for my purposes a C+ or a B-.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I am to Mini ACC what @insightman is to the fake hood scoop: I'm not a fan of my ACC, and I will tell anyone who asks. It was the feature I was most excited about on my new 2022, and the most disappointing implementation I've ever seen in a modern car. The camera-only system is not sufficient and cuts out way too often, requiring a long press of a distance button to activate standard cruise. It needs the addition of radar / lidar. I still use it, but it is very common for it to cut out once on every trip longer than 20 minutes or so. The other day it cut out with no tree shadows and a completely clouded daylight sky. (normally it's the sun that fools it)

20. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Most owners manuals warn that it is not safe using adaptive cruise control in rush hour type traffic.

I agree RADAR based systems work better.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  21. Danielle Strange

Danielle Strange New Member

Same thing happened to me when I ordered I was under the impression it was coming on the car. I have a 23 iconic plus and I realized when driving home it wasn’t on the car. I text my dealer and this was his response. “DCC for 23 was only available in JCWs, and countryman when your car went into production. It’s still not available for SEs” I was very disappointed.

1nickatnite1 likes this.
  22. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I've had the ACC fail on snow, rain, fog, and direct sunlight. Radar cruise control on my previous vehicles was a bit better but that too failed with mud and dead bugs.

It's nice to have, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Texas22Step likes this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    Don’t get me wrong, I use mine every time I’m behind the wheel. It’s just that I’ve also used ACC in a bunch of other cars, and this is the worst implementation I’ve yet experienced. The occasional cut-out on back roads when there’s an oncoming truck is annoying but I’m getting used to it; it’s rare that there’s another car on my bumper when I’m on back roads. No, for me it’s truly the large following distance gap, because when my car suddenly brakes for no reason, the people right behind me who are not driving a MINI with ACC on are a hell of a lot closer to my bumper than I am to the car in front of me.