Mini Cooper SE - In Focus: Heads Up Display

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Aug 10, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I realized I should be providing more new content for our friends awaiting delivery of their 2023 SEs. You can kill a few minutes by watching this overview video for your HUD, if you have the Iconic trim...

Index of topics in the video description.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Thanks for making these videos! :)

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. GvilleGuy

I received a comment on the video asking if the HUD is clearly visible with polarized sunglasses. Has anyone tried this? I don't have polarized glasses.

5. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

My only nitpick is that MINI calls it a Head Up Display, not Heads Up.

6. GvilleGuy

I noticed that in the menu setting screen!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    But my other one can’t see it… /ducks /runs

Rogwp likes this.
  9. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

A lot of people seem to dislike the Mini HUD, I love it. I recently took my Mini in for some small nitpick stuff and they gave me a loaner 3 cylinder base model 2-door coupe. That thing rode like a rock, it was loud, and a completely different car to the SE. I only drove my SE one day before I put the KW coilovers on but it did not ride like the ICE base model. It was really bad. The SE is a completely different feeling to say the least. Going from the base model to my Iconic trim was hugely different but I noticed, I really like the HUD.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The HUD works fine with my polarized sunglasses.

"Head Up" bothered me at first, but then I realized it was semantically correct. A driver with a Head Up Display can keep their head (singular) up and still view important information. "Heads up!" is a warning, not a display technology.

MichaelC, GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  11. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

As I understand it, MINI’s term, is the correct one.

Though our resident Tomcat drivers can confirm or deny.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

I see both in use, but I’m thinking Head-Up is probably the correct way to go. I may update my video title!

14. GvilleGuy

Updated my vid title and created a new thumbnail. Sorted.

chrunck, insightman, MichaelC and 2 others like this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Betelgeusians may need "heads up" displays...

[​IMG]

moofpup, chrunck, insightman and 3 others like this.
  16. BackPack

BackPack Member

Great video as always.

This is the first car with a head-up display. It wasn’t a feature we were looking for, but came standard on the Iconic. My wife said no way she would use it because she thought it would be distracting. So when we were first configuring it at the dealer, I shut it off. Before I drove home, I figured I’d try it out so I turned it on. I was surprised I actually liked it. My wife has also come around to it. You do still need to look down to see it, but you just don’t look down as far as the regular dash.

No issues with polarized sunglasses either.

SameGuy, Matt007b and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. SameGuy

YUL
    The virtual focal distance is somewhere out over the end of the bonnet (likely further than that), so not only do you not have to move your eyes as much, you don’t have to refocus as much as normal, ie from “down the road” to “arms’ length” and back.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  18. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Maybe should be called ‘heads down display’ LOL! I love it and one of the reasons I picked the iconic trim.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  19. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

While reading a review of the Mercedes EQS because it says no ICE car can be considered luxury compared to BEVs, I noticed mention of the Mercedes-Benz Head-Up Display (which actually projects on the windshield). I tracked down an official Mercedes-Benz video, so it seems "head-up" is the term of art. At least for German car makers.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  20. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You can call it math or maths, but all you need is the Force for the Death Star trench run.

forcehud.jpg

GvilleGuy likes this.
  21. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

I have the HUD on my 2015 Cooper S ... it's very dim, and I have to tilt my head to the side to be able to read it clearly.
    I rented a 2022 Cooper SE with the HUD ... it's bright and clear as day.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  22. SameGuy

YUL
    My BIL the thunder-stealer just popped by to show off his yellow C6 ‘Vette LS2 and it has a pretty good HUD… from 2007.

GvilleGuy likes this.