Mini Cooper SE - In Focus: 3D MAXpider Kagu Mats

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by GvilleGuy, Aug 5, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I created a video. I decided to do an unboxing and initial review of the 3D Mats brand. I am impressed with them, so far.

@Puppethead , you can get a close up view of the Mini all weather mats I'm going to ship you. Let me know if you change your mind after seeing the scratches. :)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MarkSasaki

MarkSasaki Active Member

I have had the Mini all weather mats in my 2019 and again in my 2023 SE, I wish I knew about these sooner, they look really nice!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Concur, plopped them in as soon as I brought my car home from the MINI store this evening. They seem better than WeatherTech mats, and seem to fit better and really stay put.

5. GvilleGuy

I’ll report back on this thread if I find any problems with them - but I am extremely impressed with how well (and tight) they fit.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Great video, and even with the scratches I still like those mats. But I have to say, the 3D Mats look like a really nice fit, I may need to replace my MINI liners with them for winter (I still want the regular mats for summer).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Minicris

Minicris Member

Those look great! Did I miss where you say which ones you ordered? The site doesn't have a listing for the SE and a 2022 cooper s shows unavailable.

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I think you might benefit more from the deeper channels on the all weather mats for brown sand snow and salted snow during the winter season. One of the more annoying parts of winter driving is the frozen skating rink mat from melted snow. Shouldn't be a big deal since you precondition your MINI anyways.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  10. SameGuy

YUL
    Yes, just order for a regular hardtop or S. The fit is identical.

Minicris and GvilleGuy like this.
  11. SameGuy

YUL
    My only concern will be in winter (constantly wet/snowy/slushy), the “carbon-fiber-like” texture doesn’t seem like it’ll be as grippy in winter as rubber or textured TPU.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Great Video, I bought the mini Liners and so far happy with them. THe best I liked of all is Tuxmat from canada but I don't think they make for mini. 3Ds are great too.

I'm also looking for mud flaps although I won't spend $200 on them.. So want some aftermarkets; can wait - if you know any please share...

SameGuy likes this.
  14. GvilleGuy

If you go to the 3D web site, you need to take the following options in the make/model selector:

MAKER = Mini; YEAR = 2022; MODEL = COOPER (NOT Cooper-S), and then, if needed, select 2-door hardtop.

If you select Cooper-S it gives you a message that there are no mats for your selections. I sent a message to 3D suggesting they might want to correct the Cooper-S selection to also land on the correct product.

MichaelC likes this.
  15. Wreckless117

Wreckless117 Well-Known Member

Great review.

I've had these mats in my past 4 cars and never had issues and the fit is soooo much better than weathertech and feel better on the feet than say weathertech. No issues in Illinois winters either.

The texture can make cleaning a tad more tedious, but a good tire/rubber cleaner works fantastic with a soft brush and a strong hose.

This brand used to be 'kind of a secret" that I used to tell everyone about years ago, but weathertech and husky usually takes center stage. 9/10 recommendation!

GvilleGuy likes this.
  16. GvilleGuy

Good to hear the longer term perspective!

17. SameGuy

YUL
    I’ve reassessed the texture: I like it, and it actually seems grippier than Weathertech or other rubber and PVC options. I don’t think cleaning will b resent many issues.

I’m only ever so slightly unimpressed with the 3D badges on the front mats. Not enough to remove them and leave holes, but maybe enough to replace them with the Etsy MINI badges (after I’ve sealed the holes).

GvilleGuy likes this.
  18. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I've had 3D mats in my Honda Clarity (front only) for 5 winters and in my MINI Cooper SE (front and rear) for 2 winters. I love how they look, how they fit, how they stick to the carpet below, how the edges don't droop, how the driver's-side mat covers the dead-pedal, and how easy they are to clean up when I remove them in the spring.

I don't love the 3D logo badges.

I removed the badges from the Clarity 3D mats and covered the holes with electrical tape from the underside. Under the each mounting hole I applied a circle of electrical tape sticky-side down to the larger piece applied sticky-side up. That way I don't have sticky side up tape that would collect debris where the holes are. Then I decided I don't like the rectangular depression where the 3D logo badge used to be--it looks incomplete. So I've left the logo badges on the mats for my SE. I still find them a bit gaudy and distracting, but not enough to remove them. I thought about sanding off the badges' chrome and spraying the badges black, but I don't want to keep spraying them black if I scrape off the paint with my shoes.

GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  19. turbofuzzy

turbofuzzy New Member

IMG_6986.JPG
    I removed my logos, then hit them with primer and flat black spray paint. After a few days of drying, I took a wire brush to them to test the durability of the finish. What remained was a finish that was less black and less smooth — but happened to match the mats ok.

insightman, GvilleGuy and SameGuy like this.
  20. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Genius!