MINI Connected Services

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by ER13, Nov 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. ER13

ER13 Member

I looked on several forums and sites (including this one) to try to find this answer myself...but with no luck. While MINI connected is not perfect, I am unsure which 4G provider MINI/BMW uses for these services. I am finding some older stuff that says the sim is from AT&T, and uses AT&T towers and data, but wasn't sure if that was still the case.

I am asking because my (future) MINI is going to be parked in my detached garage, a place with notoriously bad cell reception. Knowing which towers MINI connected uses will help me determine whether or not I will be able to utilize the cabin preconditioning, check charging status, etc. My LEAF isn't connected at all, so right now I have to go out to the garage to check charging status...and it's annoying.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

I don’t have my mini yet. But I have my charger installed in a detached garage. My internet is in a mesh network so I have one of the mesh unit in my detached garage, my garage controller works perfectly fine as well as my Arlo camera. And the new charge point charger is talking to the app perfectly. Not sure if this helps with your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. ER13

ER13 Member

So...my WiFi would reach my garage. Can MINI connected use WiFi instead of 4G from the car?

5. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Ah! That I can’t help you as my car is still at the first check mark… order received . I didn’t use mini connected on my 2017 S before. So not sure. Hope someone can help you.

6. ER13

ER13 Member

Mine is 1st check mark too!

Denise C likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Denise C

Denise C Active Member

Earlier last week I had second check (production scheduled) and then later on the week went back to first check some people said it’s normal… I hope will start moving along soon.

ER13 likes this.
  9. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the SE has no capacity to connect to WiFi. The "pushed" commands to, messages from, and "pulled" status checks from the app seem to be via cellular data only.

Denise C and ER13 like this.
  10. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

I don't see my SE on the home network, although it may be using the neighbors :). I would expect, if it had wifi connectivity, the SE would have provisions to enter a SSID and password.

11. ER13

ER13 Member

Yeah. It seems that WiFi connections are not an option on the MINI infotainment OS.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

ATT used to offer a cell hub (MicroCell) that you put on your home network for locations with poor cell service. It would connect your cell phone to ATT central via internet. Of course you would need to find BMW's cell provider to investigate.

There are also so called camper/RV signal boosters. Cell repeater systems in residences and apartments are common.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  14. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

BMW press release saying MINI uses 4G SIM card in all cars since 2018.

The SE does have its own wifi for use with wireless CarPlay (bluetooth is used to initiate connection, wifi is used for display).

ER13 likes this.
  15. endquote

endquote Active Member

Huh, surprising that there’s no Wi-Fi.

Related question about the services, I haven’t been able to figure out what that costs. I presume it’s free for a while and then there’s some monthly charge?

16. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I asked my dealer when I picked up my SE and was told free "forever".

endquote likes this.