Merry Christmas! Kona won't start - HV error :(

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by TheLight75, Dec 24, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Imagine my surprise this lovely Christmas Eve morning when I got in my Kona to get coffee and it wouldn't start.... It's throwing the "Check electrical system" error which tells me the HV battery is probably toast. I did try disconnect the 12V battery for 5 mins to see if that might reset it, but nope.

Thankfully this happened early in the day and I was able to get a hold of my local dealer's service department so I'll be getting a loaner, but it sucks all the same. :(

My Kona has about 32,700 miles on it and has had all the recalls done. Never had a problem.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

E56D514E-6E99-4DEE-B55D-4F7D79E77549.jpeg

ehatch and KiwiME like this.
  4. Sorry to hear, hope it gets resolved for you in a timely manor.
    An appropriate end to a crazy year:rolleyes:

TheLight75 likes this.
  5. gonzo

gonzo New Member

Sorry to hear. One thing to watch out for with the dealership service team from my experience is to make sure they take the time to get more details on the exact alarm the car is throwing since it likely is a new alarm that isn't in their service manual yet. The first dealership I brought mine too was able to clear the alarm and get the car running again without taking the time to find out what the alarm code meant. Then the second dealership it got towed to took the time to contact Hyundai engineering and found out that the alarm was indicating the main battery needed to be replaced.

BC-Doc and TheLight75 like this.
  6. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Usually the dealer needs to get Tech line on the phone to help diagnose, and they might need to go back and forth collecting diagnostics. Hopefully it is an easy fix this time.

TheLight75 likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Condolences to the OP, please keep us updated. Its been a couple of weeks since they cleared my EV system code. My dealer with HYTAC( Canadian tech line) guidance is hoping its just a failed firmware flash. I have zero confidence it won't happen again I just hope I won't be stranded in the boonies when it does.

TheLight75 likes this.
  9. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Here’s hoping it is a simple fix! Thankfully Roadside Assistance was able to quickly pick it up and my local dealership got me into a loaner in very short order. This is why I wanted an EV from a manufacturer with an established dealer network rather than roll the dice with Tesla.

BC-Doc likes this.
  10. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

What was your SOC at the time it happened?

11. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I had left it charging overnight to 90%. It had 88% this morning when I checked after the EV error.

The bulk of charging happened from 6:24pm to 8:17pm last night with 20.5 kWh added. The rest of the night had a small vampire drain.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    ttsherpa likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. FloridaSun

FloridaSun Well-Known Member

Hoping for the best. Best of Luck! If it turns out that the HV battery is toast, I'm watching this to see how Hyundai handles it.... if they will actually replace the battery or buy back the car??? There are VERY few dealers that are equipped to replace the battery and getting a new battery from Korea may take months...

TheLight75 likes this.
  14. If it charged to the limit at 90% and you had 88% in the morning (which could mean between 88.00 to 88.99%) then that's a whole lot more than a "vampire drain". That sounds more like cell leakage, exactly what the software is intended to catch. Also, any drains are tabulated by the BMS using the current shunt while leakage is not.

TheLight75, Clamps and ttsherpa like this.
  15. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Any consolation, your Kona electric looks GOOD being loaded onto the flatbed. Have you noticed the battery saver light coming on post the updates? I have had one since,but it started.

TheLight75 likes this.
  16. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

I’m expecting this to take a couple months.

17. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

Thanks! Yep, I’ve noticed the HV LED on the front has been coming on more frequently since the BMS recalls were completed.

ehatch likes this.
  18. FloridaSun

Well, this is normal as the car wakes up frequently since Recall 960, the first one..

19. TheLight75

TheLight75 Active Member

If the HV battery is toast, I think that I have no choice but to wait for a new one to come in. The lemon laws in MA only cover new vehicles up to 1 year or 15,000 miles.

20. FloridaSun

I wasn't thinking about the lemon law but that it may be easier for Hyundai just to buy back the car instead of going through the hassle with the battery.. They may have to have your car shipped to another location to get the swap done..

21. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Battery saver
    function OOSEV048120L comes on,but at some point,it's no longer normal. How frequently,I found something somewhere that said about 6 times?I have hit this number since taking delivery.That light came on pre the recalls.

22. mikeselectricstuff

mikeselectricstuff Active Member

It used to do the top-up every 24 hours, it's now every 4 hours after the update

23. ehatch

ehatch Active Member

Forgot to mention,on my last charge,set to 90%. The infotainment range was supposed to be 425km.Not actual driving mileage, I know. I got about 18% less when the car shut off at the programmed 90% . I have had the battery recalls done.