MEET THE WATER CAR -TOYOTA MIRAI

Discussion in 'Hydrogen fuel cell vehicles' started by electricvehicles, Jun 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. electricvehicles

electricvehicles New Member

Alcoto likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Since it doesn't have a J1772 plug, I'm not terribly interested. Still I know there are some enthusiasts. My Prius Prime just finished charging on the driveway from our morning trip to the dog park. For grins, it is cooling the cabin using grid power in the 85-90F heat.

• Do you own or lease a fuel cell car?
    • The reason I ask is reports of $16/kg cost and your experience with station reliability and access.
    • I understand fuel cell cars often come with a 3 year(?) hydrogen fuel purchase card. If you have one, what are the terms and conditions?
    • Can you pre-condition, cool or heat, while the car is parked before taking it for a trip?
    FYI, this is "insideevs" which means 'inside electric vehicles'. A fuel cell vehicle is not an electric vehicle that plugs into the grid. It fuels like gasoline engine cars which is different from what we do.

Many of us don't go to gas stations or in my case rarely with our plug-in cars. I visit gas stations when leaving Huntsville AL to drive cross country 700 miles to Oklahoma or Kansas or +200 miles to Tennessee. My "B" tripmeter shows ~2,500 miles since the last gas station fill-up, 11.4 gallons $2.25/gal.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    NeilBlanchard likes this.
  4. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

How is a hydrogen fuel cell car - a "water car"? Where can one get hydrogen obtained from electrolysis? How much energy does it take to get a kilogram of hydrogen this way, and to compress it, transport it?

Domenick likes this.
  5. Alcoto

Alcoto New Member

Hidrogen car is an EV, it have electric motors, hidrogen is user insted of batteries. The y use hidrogen to genenerate electricity by a quimic reaction with two outputs: electricity and water.

6. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Something is certainly being lost in translation here. :) I guess he means that the car emits only water as its "exhaust," but it's not clean water. Toyota originally claimed the emission was clean enough to drink, but then Toyota spokesmen admitted nobody at Toyota had ever tried drinking it!

From Gas2.org: "Toyota: Don’t Drink The (Fuel Cell) Water"

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard Active Member

And battery electric cars are zero emissions cars.

9. bwilson4web

There is some buzz that Mirai sales are slow enough that they are being stored off-site as more continue to arrive:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The May Dashboard sales showed a distinct drop in Mirai sales which was attributed to introduction of the Honda Clarity fuel cell vehicle. But it could be there is an absolute limit to how many fuel cell vehicles can be sold in California regardless of the number of $2m fuel stations.

Bob Wilson

10. SFInTheRain

SFInTheRain New Member

I do think it 's caused by Clarity since Clarity still has 2+ months waiting list.
    I think Clarity fuel cell is definitely the car for me to replace my current car even by financial point of view. Here is my calculation:
    Price include tax ~18,000
    Gas cost for my current car is ~18c/mi. I drive ~50k for three years. That's 9k fuel.
    5k state incentive.
    So the extra cost for a new upper-trim car is 18-9-5=4k for three years. It's a steal.

11. bwilson4web

Looking forward to seeing photos of the paperwork. Just cut out the personal information parts.

Bob Wilson

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SFInTheRain

SFInTheRain New Member

Still waiting.
    IMG_4966.PNG IMG_4966.PNG

bwilson4web likes this.