Maybe some bad news for Canadians

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by R P, Apr 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

This is the new reality. Housing costs more and EVs are certainly going to cost more.

Drop the package MSRP loophole and introduce an EV tax through peak demand charges (~$100-200/mo).

3. My order for a digital teal ultimate I5 was originally slated for June 2022 construction and this has been recently delayed to some point around the 1st quarter of 2023. Well it appears I may have lucked out for a change as I just got a call from my dealer, they have one in my spec that has arrived in my province and presumably the original buyer has backed out. I would appear that won't have to deal with price increase nonsense. Quite the serendipitous turn of events.

4. You lucky dog!!!...

5. Thanks, I think :)
    Went to take it for a nice long test drive today with my wife. I liked the faux leather seating much more than I thought I would, it was surprisingly attractive and very comfortable. The cabin was very quiet at highway speeds. We tried all the buttons and features, didn't take long to figure things out. No weird driveline noises, could hardly hear the VESS, and was pretty darn fast even with only 1/2 the battery charged. For the longest time I couldn't figure why the HUD was not working at least until I took off my polarized sunglasses, lol. It was a weird sensation getting used to all the information floating and flashing in your line of sight, at one point I thought it was making me a little nauseous and I just put my shades back on :). HDA 2 is a very nice improvement over the Kona's HDA, definitely worth the extra dosh.

Overall I really like it. We are both happy with the colour shifting effect of digital teal exterior colour and the spacious contrasting teal over white interior. It was weird getting all sorts of unsolicited attention when we parked at a nearby petrocan charger. I think this has to be one of the first ultimate I5s in our city that or we have somehow became rock stars overnight, lol.

Now I just need to make the numbers work with the dealer, we are going to continue negotiations tomorrow. Was going to pass the Kona down to the wife but we are now potentially reconsidering given the favorable trade in values, will see what tomorrow brings.

[​IMG]

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Wait until April 25 if model applicable ;)

8. Its OK, the I5 ultimate still qualifies for the iZEV incentive under the current rules.
    I will be trading in my Kona, the dealer gave me a surprisingly good offer:) Nonetheless, I actually am taking delivery on the April 25 as it gives some time to take off my snow tires(yes, its still snowing here today, ugh).

9. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

The "package" loophole is still available in the old and new April 25th program. I'm concerned the new program will just increase the MSRP up to $10,000 making it unaffordable for the middle class while making it easier for the wealthy to claim the subsidies every single year with a new vehicle. That base model $44,999 MSRP floor requirement was incredibly important for affordability! If you live in Quebec, you should have easily accumulated 4 years of $13,000 in rebates or $52,000 since 2019! Add another $14,000 if you lived in Ontario in 2018.

Lars, electriceddy, apu and 1 other person like this.
  10. Not quite there, only ~ $27K since 2012, Municipal, Provincial and Federal combined. Looking back, if I had bought new every year, I could have achieved that total and probably more;)

11. To remove this ad click here.