Maximum Range on Battery

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Timothy, Feb 26, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

I envision this thread as a place to post maximum distance between charges in a friendly rather than competitive way. My thought would be to post the following:

Distance traveled, and remaining EV estimate (both from dashboard), percentage battery remaining (from Hondalink), we could also add a column for temperature at recharge (to get a general idea of climate conditions) Maybe a date column as well.

I don't see this as a thread for comments but just for data, but what ever happens happens, I suppose. I find myself trying to get as far as I can on a charge (hopefully I will get over this eventually) and I am curious about the experiences others are having. Here is the thread for comments about the data: http://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/maximum-range-on-battery-comments.749

So that it's easy to follow one's own data, I would suggest that folks edit their own post when they have a new entry to to make (so that all of one person's entries would show up on the same post).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Distance // EV Remaining // % Remaining // Temp at Recharge // date
    39.9mi // 15.3mi // 40 // 56F // 02.26.2018

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  4. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

Today I traveled 62 miles. Starting out with an almost fully charged battery the EV range showed 42 miles. But you can really squeeze some extra miles out of these things. I spent quite a bit of the journey on a fairly lonely road where I could drive 40 mph in a 55 zone. Only two cars had to pass me (one driver was quite miffed). But the car ran 54 miles on electric so only the last 8 miles with the ICE running.

I watched as the EV range estimate dropped to zero. I had the radio off and was trying to sense the ICE starting up, but I couldn't. At speed I couldn't hear the ICE. Only when I came to a stop could I hear it.

Outside temp was in the 60's and I didn't turn on the seat heater or the climate system. The first 31 miles were generally uphill. Turning around the car ran at 40mpg for a long time neither seeming to use any electricity nor to regen. At one point I had to drive 27 more miles and EV showed only 10. But as I gained going downhill the gap closed.

All of this was in a day when my wife already drove 30 miles, then I did 12 miles, and the car was charged in-between.

5. barnesgj

barnesgj Active Member

That's a remarkable distance, which I will never achieve. :rolleyes:
    And, I can always hear when the ICE starts, even at speed. It always seems loud to me. I wonder if it's the car or my hearing that makes it seem so loud? So far, it's not a big issue, as it rarely needs to come on. :)

6. Viking79

Viking79 Well-Known Member

Distance // EV Remaining // % Remaining // Temp at Recharge // date
    30 mi // 22 mi // unknown // 45 F // 2018.3.5

Notes: No climate usage. Warmest it has been for a while, Longest yet, estimated at next charge was 49 mi.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

This thread never really took off. But this morning we had our highest EV range estimate yet. It feels a little like boasting, but I'm excited about it and you all (plus my wife) are likely to be the only folks who might care.

Attached Files:

9. LAF

LAF Active Member

its because the car is otherwise so amazingly quiet! I fear for when eventually there is some rattle.

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

A8C1BE73-01C7-46AF-B416-39072D6867A0.jpeg 7CA0C3C1-6E67-4673-95B6-25481EDB4029.jpeg A1BDBE0E-898F-4066-8FC3-D4DCA243BD71.jpeg 0B87524E-7AE8-4369-9023-0232D51FE14E.jpeg C30715D5-5D3A-4C6E-A2EC-763F9873317C.jpeg Here’s my best EV range (62.7) with no non-motive battery drain, level roads, moderate accel, temps of 40-60F, max speed 60mph, and 75/25% city/hwy. Stayed in the 60s for 2 weeks, now consistently 57-59 EV range. The EV range estimate always tracks within 2 miles +/- of the odometer, so it’s very accurate for me. Haven’t let it get to 0 EV so don’t know if I could squeeze any more miles out of it before ICE starts.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  11. Timothy

Timothy Active Member

Very nice, though I am still happy about my 56 miles.

12. To remove this ad click here.