Mach-e trailer hitch

Discussion in 'Mustang Mach-E' started by Texas Niro EV, Dec 7, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Texas Niro EV

Texas Niro EV Active Member

We know that there is going to a trailer hitch available for the Mach-e, the question is what will be the hitch rating; Class I, II or III. There is even a Class I hitch available for the ICE Mustang. I’m assuming that, with the more SUV design of the Mach-e, there will be a Class III hitch available for the Mach-e, at least as an aftermarket, like there is with the Niro EV.

I’m starting this thread to capture all things hitch related on the Mach-e; news, discussion, installation, videos, etc. I’m pretty surprised that we haven’t already heard about hitch offerings for the Mach-e, the Mach-e is going to be on dealers lots any day now. There was a hitch available for the Bolt EV even before it was on dealers lots.

Please feel free to post anything hitch related for the Mach-e on this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Domenick likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. FISHEV

FISHEV Member

No hitch yet from Ford though they did promise tow capacity of 1,500#(?). In EU, a CUV like the MachE has to be able to tow a travel trailer so MachE's in EU are going to have to have some hitch available from Ford.

The ID4 just came out causing Ford to immediately drop the price of the MachE by $3k. ID4 has a neat automatic pop out hitch and does 3,000#.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Texas Niro EV

Torklift Central has a page for ordering a hitch for the Mach-e; https://torkliftcentral.com/select-ecohitch-style?vid=5147. Torklift Central is not actually offering them for sale yet but you can put your name on the list for when the hitches are available. If you can get your Mach-e up to Kent, WA, Torklift will custom fabricate and install a hitch on your Mach-e and probably use your hitch as the template for the hitches that will be advertised on the website.

I reached out to TorkLift Central to see what kind of information they could give me. They said that they haven't actually tried to build a hitch for the Mach-e yet so they couldn't tell my what kind of rating to expect. A 2,000 or 3,000 pound capacity was mentioned.

Torklift is offering three different hitch styles for the Mach-e; hidden, invisible, and stealth. The hidden hangs down below the bumper, invisible hides behind the license plate and stealth is a drop out but also hangs below the bumper. I like the stealth the best so I could remove the hitch when I don't need it but I would go with another style of it had a higher weight rating.

Torklift Central said that they have had quite a few inquiries about a hitch for the Mach-e. Torklift Central said that sometimes they can get dealers to loan them new cars to fit hitches on but usually they need a customer to come in for a custom fit first. So, if you are anywhere near Kent, WA, go see what kind of trailer hitch TorkLift Central can put on your Mach-e and we will all see what kind of hitch we can get on the Mach-e.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    MachE_VLOG and Domenick like this.
  5. I found two owners manuals on line for the Mustang Mach E. The first one appears to be the North American Manual and states absolutely no towing. The second appears to be the European manual and shows how to install a hitch. (go figure)

Here are links to the two manuals:
    North American
    https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_09_2020-1.pdf

European
    https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/Catalog/owner_information/2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-GBR_09_2020.pdf

6. BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB New Member

Newbie Question: Can I have the bicycle rack trailer hitch removed from my Lexus 200NX and have it reinstalled on my coming soon Ford Mustang EV? My current hitch is a 2" receiver installed by Lexus dealer. Thank you.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Each trailer hitch is designed to fit a specific vehicle. So, no your Lexus hitch will not fit on the Mach E. Also I have been watching and currently there are no hitches available for the Mach E. Though manufactures in Wastington and I believe Georgia have offered a free one to the first person to bring in a Mach E so that they can measure and fabricate the firsts one. So far in December and January 234 have been delivered at some point someone will get in to have one made and then they will be available. It could be a couple of months though.

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB likes this.
  9. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

If you go to any local steel fabrication shop they can weld you up a 2” receiver that will handle a bike rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB likes this.
  10. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I read in the manual that the Mach-E cannot tow. It might be difficult to get a receiver hitch for the vehicle. Another option is the racks that attach to the rear hatch, if they become available. The downside of a new release is waiting for the aftermarket to come up with products.

11. Eric318

Eric318 New Member

The Euro manual even seems to show that The Mach-E comes with its own hitch and tow-ball from the factory...

2021-03-11_17-45-42.jpg 2021-03-11_17-45-06.jpg 2021-03-11_17-44-26.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB

BENJAMIN P GOLDFARB New Member

Note: Not for towing, for Bicycle Rack. Thank you!

14. Texas Niro EV

The Mach-e is rated with a towing capacity of 750 kg or 1650 lbs in Europe.

Eric318 likes this.
  15. Eric318

Eric318 New Member

Would you have photos of the towing equipment as showed in the Europe manual? Thank you.

16. electriceddy likes this.
  17. mho and Eric318 like this.
  18. Texas Niro EV

The ratings finally came out on the EcoHitch. The hitch is rated for a 525 lb tongue weight and a 3,500 lb towing capacity. That rating gives the Mach-e EcoHitch a full Class III rating.

With the kind of power the Mach-e has and with AWD it should easily pull anything the EcoHitch is rated for.

Eric318 likes this.
  19. Eric318

Eric318 New Member

Has Ford finally published towing rating for the Mach-E in the US?

20. aamyotte

aamyotte Active Member

I have not seen a change to allow North America towing capacity on the MME. Hopefully if they do add a tow capacity, they ammend the already built MME's to be able to tow.

21. Eric318

Eric318 New Member

So, if you fit a tow hitch on a car that is NOT rated for towing by the manufacturer, does this not invalidate both your car warranty and your insurance?

22. Recoil45

Recoil45 Active Member

It could. And could also expose you to major legal issues if someone is injured/killed in an accident you are involved in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Texas Niro EV

This is FUD. Manufacturers can’t invalidate your warranty if you add an aftermarket device unless they can prove the aftermarket device caused the defect. Insurance would be honored as long as your policy was paid up.