Lutz is nuts video

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Sep 20, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Source:

Skip to 1:22 to see him pontificate on Tesla:
    • Regular car companies will subsidize their EVs by adding hundreds of dollars to their other cars.
    • Tesla has nothing unique.
    • Tesla won't be able to raise capital because of Musk.
    Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

• Regular car companies have not subsidized their EV's today to gain market share. If they do so in the future, it will only be for a short term to kill other competitors in the EV market. They are not in the charity business, why would they do suddenly develop a social consciousness. A BMW I3 costs almost as much as Tesla Model 3, even with about 40% of range. Beats me why Lutz would think that regular car companies will do that on the long term. (So even though Tesla has produced over 350,000+ cars in the last 8 years, they are not a regular car company. )
    • Tesla is the only one other than say Nissan who has several years experience in many markets in designing, manufacturing and selling EVs in an scale. Tesla, has its own battery plant, and their own charging network. Also, they are far ahead of the field when it comes to autonomous driving, they only company close to them in number of miles driven may be Waymo. Those are unique advantages that Tesla has.
    • Well may be Elon may have some push back in getting finance, he also has a devoted set of followers who will help him get it.

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Well-Known Member

Just did some checking and Bob Lutz is Chairman of Via Motors (at least I assume he still is as there are reports of him joining the board but not leaving it. He was quoted in a press release dated Jan 22nd 2018). Via Motors if you have not heard of it (I had not) wants to make manufacture EV (Just realized that others on this forum like Bob and Pushmi-Pullyu are well aware of the Via Motors, I am still a newbie and was not aware of it, so I do apologize if I am pointing out the obvious to some on this forum. However, I am still going ahead with this post to set the context that Bob Lutz cannot claim to be an independent industry expert).

VIA Motors is an American electric vehicle development and manufacturing company. VIA Motors produces extended-range electric vehicles (EREVs) by modifying trucks, vans and SUVs. VIA Motors purchases basic vehicles from GM and replaces the conventional gas powertrain with an extended-range electric-drive powertrain. VIA then sells directly to fleets under the VTRUX™ brand name. VIA is beta testing its vehicles with fleet customers[1] and is taking orders from the public for trucks to be delivered in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIA_Motors

They seem have a tie with Chevy (Chevy dealers service them) and it may be some sort of GM end run against other EVs.

They have also tied up with Geeley Automotive https://www.viamotors.com/press-releases.html

Orem, Utah - January 22, 2018
    In line with Geely’s corporate global vision of producing the safest, most environmentally-friendly and most energy-efficient “New Energy Commercial Vehicles,” VIA Motors International, Inc., a leader of electric and hybrid drive systems offering a range of extended range (eREV) and EV commercial vehicles, today announces that it has completed an exclusive agreement with China based Zhejiang Geely New Energy Vehicle Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Commercial Vehicle Group.

The parties have agreed to co-develop a medium duty extended range electric truck, which incorporates VIA's industry leading proprietary vehicle software and systems control technology, for launch in China and the Americas in 2019.00..............

"Geely is the ideal strategic partner for VIA Motors, as the fastest growing global vehicle company, with a demonstrated commitment to the electrification of their portfolio of award winning vehicles," commented Bob Lutz, Chairman of VIA Motors and former Vice-Chairman of GM.

The fact is that Lutz has a conflict of interest, if he is on the board of a potential competitor. So dishing Tesla is self serving.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

No need to apologize as new facts lead to new insights. Let me share what I understand Via became:
    • captured customers - electric utilities who use them as 'eye candy' for being green
    • Queens of the service lot - these pure EVs are not plug-in hybrids so they have hard range limitations. If the weather is nice and single stationary service call, OK. But when storms or other disasters occur, a service truck can be out for days. This is no time for crews to have to sit out a charging session.
    Bob Wilson