Lucid Motors

Discussion in 'Other EVs' started by Domenick, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Domenick

Domenick Administrator Staff Member

Lucid Motors is the oldest electric vehicle company you may have never heard of. It was founded in 2007, but went by the name of Atieva until October of 2016 when it teased images of its first production-intent vehicle, the Air.

That car would go on to set a lap record at Laguna Seca (1:41.6) in September of 2018, but the company's goal to be mass manufacturing copies of the car by that same point in time was less successful.

The dream is not dead, though. In fact, the company received $1 billion in funding from the Saudi Sovereign Wealth fund (PIF) in late September 2018 and now has its sites set on 2020.

Most recently, it appointed Peter Rawlinson as its CEO. Previously, he served as the company's CTO and prior to that, the lead engineer on the Tesla Model S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pushmi-Pullyu

Pushmi-Pullyu Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Domenick.

I had dismissed Lucid as just another wannabe, but if they have received an investment of $1 billion, then that should put them a long way toward actually putting a car into production. Assuming, of course, that the company is properly managed, and doesn't waste a lot of that $1 billion investment. (Faraday Future is an example of a company which has wasted astounding amounts of money, with almost nothing to show for it.)

3. gooki

gooki Active Member

Shame about the weird hump at the rear roofline.

4. interestedinEV

interestedinEV Active Member

A day late and dollar short is how I would describe Lucid. Yes, they have a billion dollars. Yes, they are hiring. But they are in a segment that is being targeted by many others, the higher end luxury segment. Tesla sells about about 3000-4000 X and S. Now you have Audi and Porsche and Cadillac and Jaguar and Infinity... all coming into this market. Realistically, even with very high margins, the potential market for the very high end is limited. At $100,000 + (I cannot see it being less than that) there is just so many cars you can sell, especially when you have entrenched competitors. They may think that China is the savior, but that is doubtful, especially given the trade situation that might persist for quite some time. Cannot see them making a big splash, but then I have been known to be wrong.

5. hmp10

hmp10 New Member

Lucid seems to be the first EV company that might make it to production that is actually using the compact size advantages of electric drivetrains to rethink interior packaging from the ground up. I have a 2015 Tesla Model S P90D. It's a great car in general, but it has abysmally cramped rear seats for a car of its exterior dimensions. The Jaguar I-Pace is nicely styled, but it, too, has a smallish back seat and has done nothing to break the "3-box" mold that has driven ICE design for decades. Ditto for Audi's and MB's first EV attempts to enter the mainstream. Rather than fundamentally rethinking their exteriors and interiors, they are all striving to make them looks as familiar to buyers as their ICE equivalents.

I am astonished that seven years after Tesla launched a Model S that tried to look like an ICE vehicle so few new entrants are trying to break that mold. In 2012, such a design choice made sense, as hopes to bring EVs into the mainstream hinged in part on making the cars look and feel familiar to the public. But electric propulsion has now established itself as a viable and even desirable alternative to ICE propulsion in the minds of many. It's time to take the next step and start leveraging the advantages of compact drivetrains to take automotive design in a different direction.

Lucid is taking that step by putting an interior with larger dimensions and more legroom than an S-class Mercedes or a BMW 7 series into a body the size of an E-class Mercedes.