Low range after system error

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by turtleturtle, Nov 19, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. turtleturtle

turtleturtle Active Member

It’s winter, so range should be down. I usually go from ~47-50 to ~35-38 when winter hits.

This week when I went to start the car all sorts of errors came up and it didn’t start. I shut it down, turned it back on fine, but range dropped to 28. Car was fully charged. Was showing 35 before.

Over the past few days, the range hasn’t come back up. Did a full charge down and charge up today and now it’s showing 25.

It’s almost like it lost a bank of cells.

Has this happens to anyone else? Is this something a dealer would diagnose for free under the battery warranty?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Did you happen to take note of the warnings?

Have you driven the car until EV range was depleted to measure actual miles travelled in EV?

EV range is an estimate based on previous drives. You’ve stated 35 miles as being typical for this time of year. Had the car “lost” battery A or B, EV range would theoretically be 17.5, rather than 25-28.

You could contact the service department at your local dealer, explain what has occurred, and see if they would offer a complimentary diagnosis. That type of service is rare these days, many service departments are short on staff and reservations for an appointment are booked out weeks in advance.

4. Why not get a $25 scanner and check the cells/battery condition. There's a whole thread on "budget battery condition"-search for it.

megreyhair and MrFixit like this.
  5. turtleturtle

Assumed it would cost more. I do see an option recommended there running about $32 on Amazon. NTB and bypasses the dealer.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  6. turtleturtle

Warnings flashed quick so I just turned the car off. Interesting that losing a bank would be half; didn’t know it was just two large banks.

Our dealer is great, really, but so understaffed right now, I do think it wold be a hard sell. I am thinking about the other post with the scanner and I’m going to drive it each day this week and see if it starts to level.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

If your 12-Volt battery is teetering on the edge of the abyss, that could have caused the warnings you saw. However, if it was completely kaput, you wouldn't have been able to restart your Clarity.

JustAnotherPoorDriver likes this.