Low oil pressure update

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by ProspectiveBuyer, Sep 30, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The dealership sent the guy who did the oil change to my house to see why I'm getting the oil pressure warning. I was not thrilled about that. He checked the dip stick, which now appeared to have oil on it on the orange part. Oddly enough, there was none when I checked it last night. The guy was prepared to leave but I insisted they take the car in for a full inspection considering the app still says Low Oil Pressure. He wanted to drive the car in but I insisted they tow it rather than risk a recurrence. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem where the warning light comes on briefly then disappears, but the warning is still on the app. The whole situation has left me totally confused as to what happened and why. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it. Curious if anyone has any input.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Good that you stuck to your guns. Not a warning message to be taken lightly.

neal adkins likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender Active Member

The app is not a good source for updated car info (vs the actual car dashboard).
    Ive encountered multiple times where charge state or odo reading is very stale.

ClarityDoc likes this.
  5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

You’re gonna be stuck with whatever they come up with. As long as it’s documented in service records you’ll be protected if a problem comes up in the future. If you get the car back and the engine is running normally I’m sure it’s fine. Obviously keep eye on oil level for a while to make sure there’s no leak or something weird and contact them immediately if the problem ever repeats.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

Precisely the reason why I change my own oil. I know it is done properly and the proper oil type and viscosity was put in the crankcase.

Fast Eddie B likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. neal adkins

neal adkins Active Member

This one may not be complicated. If you are low on oil it can result in low oil pressure. As a young man thats how i knew to check my oil level. When i noticed less oil pressure on the guage.

9. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Also, if the car is not on a level surface, the oil dipstick & sensor reading will be off.

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Long ago, I had a car-clueless housemate who let his 5-year old car run out of oil, causing the engine to seize. I felt bad for the guy, but another housemate exhibited a distinct lack of sympathy: "What? Didn't they put enough oil in at the factory?"

4sallypat likes this.
  11. Thanks for all your input. Really helpful. The latest update: They towed the car to Honda Service Monday morning. I couldn't get any specific info about what they were doing with it. They just said they needed to keep it overnight to continue testing. I called repeatedly during the day on Tuesday to find out what was going on. No response. Then toward the end of the day, I finally get the service manager on the phone and he tells me that the car was never out of oil. He says the oil pressure switch malfunctioned, so they're gonna order a new one and they need to keep it overnight and it should be ready around 1pm on Wednesday. Curious what you all make of this. To me, it seemed very suspicious. He expects me to believe that it was just a coincidence that the oil pressure switch happened to malfunction so soon after being serviced by them? Fortunately it's under warranty and covered, but I feel like they're trying to conceal what really happened, though I have no idea what that could be. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on this. I'm also wondering, is this a common occurrence. Has anyone else had an oil pressure switch malfunction? And what's to prevent it from happening again?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I honestly feel you are best served by accepting what they say and move on with your life. Future oil problems will be warranteed now that you have a paper trail on the issue. I’m sure this is not a common occurrence, but that’s irrelevant. Uncommon occurrences do occur...

Groves Cooke and Ray B like this.
  14. My dad had a rich friend (last name: Richman) that bought new Cadillacs and traded them in every year.

I recall he was proud of the fact he never opened the hood of any of them.