Low gear for driving in snow

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by peterkronenberg, Nov 15, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. peterkronenberg

peterkronenberg New Member

So without a traditional low gear (or at least a simulation), other then putting in in Econ mode, is there anything else we can do for driving in snow?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I haven't driven the Clarity yet in the snow. With the Volt, the Regen was nice, albeit a little too aggressive (I have the 2012 with only Max Regen setting with shifter in L setting and just taking your foot off the accelerator would cause some loss of traction). With the Clarity, I think I would try the Sport setting (so the Regen stays on) and set the Regen at about 3/4 and see how that works. Gentle with the accelerator since in Sport mode, but it should let you keep from having to use the brakes very much.

4. Phunny

Phunny Member

Regen is a brake wihich can't be disabled by ABS as quickly as friction brakes. I would bet that Honda cuts out the regen when slippage is detected. I know from experience that it turns off cruise control, but I'd rather try not to encourage regen if I think traction is limited.

5. Robert_Alabama

Post deleted by Robert_Alabama

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

So, I've very little experience with the Clarity in snow yet (maybe tomorrow!). But, with the Ford Fusion Energi we ran through last winter, it was definitely preferable for control on snow/ice to use the brakes and to minimize regeneration as much as possible. The brakes act on all 4 tires and regen acts on only the front tires. That makes a huge difference in control, both because of the number of tires is double and because it's good to have the rear tires doing their share (less chance of a spin-out). For me, I plan to run in ECON mode to minimize throttle tip-in and regen, and use my brakes all winter. It's a trade-off with EV range, of course, but one that is worth it for me.

Gearhead likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Robert_Alabama

Alright. I've only got experience with the Volt in one snowstorm, so I'm going to yield to the majority. Forget using regen and use the Econ mode as default. I liked the immediate slowing when I got off the accelerator completely. If the Clarity handles anything like the Volt, it should do well.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

ECON Mode's less-aggressive accelerator mapping gives you more control for driving in snow by reducing the chance of spinning the front tires in the slippery white stuff (or slippery dirty stuff, depending on when it fell).