Loud sound while charging?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by V8Power, Jul 21, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Do you guys hear a loud humming vibrating spinning sound while charging too? It sounds like a fan or pump almost like a refrigerator compressor coming from around the radiator area behind the Honda emblem up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

Sometimes I hear the radiator fan(s) in the front and a gurgling type sound in the rear but not very often and they’re not very loud.

4. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

Yeah get the same sounds.

5. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. AnthonyW

AnthonyW Well-Known Member

Sounds normal to me. Best thing you can do is charge in the middle of the night when your garage has cooled down a bit. My fan does not come on anymore now that I start charging around 2am (yes, I got up a few times and checked :)) The car does not use an AC compressor to cool the battery system. It just has a separate, specialized radiator system whose goal is to lower (or raise) the system x degrees versus ambient. The on-board charger and the DC inverter generate a lot of heat. The target temp for those is 131 F or lower. The target temp for the battery packs is between 77F and 95F. If the coolant is outside that range, there is a valve that opens up and coolant bypasses the battery. Like I mentioned before, charge when your garage is coolest. See attached.

8. V8Power

V8Power Active Member

Very cool SAE publication, thanks! How did you come across that? It's in the garage now charging and the temperature is 24C (75F) but the compressor sound continues.

9. Atkinson

Atkinson Active Member

Great information!

10. JCEV

JCEV Active Member

I find it comes on more if I just finish driving and plug it in which makes sense as the battery is probably hot from the recent drive

11. To remove this ad click here.