Lost Honda Clarity Key: Inexpensive Way to Replace?

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by banshee2008, Dec 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. banshee2008

banshee2008 New Member

I just lost one of my two Honda Clarity keys and want to get a replacement. I have read that I may be able to replace it with a Honda Civic key less expensively.

If anyone else has lost a key and had good luck replacing it, I have a few questions I am hoping you might be able to answer:
    1) Is there a specific online vendor and part number you used successfully?
    2) Who can program it? Is it possible with OBD2 or similar to program it yourself?
    3) Anyone find a way to get the original Clarity key inexpensively?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'd call locksmiths in your area and see if they can program a key for the car. Sometimes they have the knowledge and equipment required. If so, you may be able to buy a keyfob (maybe even a Civic-would lose the charging hatch I suspect) and get them to cut it and program it, probably saving money from a dealer. I inquired this for a BMW a couple of years ago, and they said they were about to purchase required equipment, but hadn't got it yet. I had to use a dealer. I did call multiple dealers and saved a reasonable amount by picking the cheapest.

4sallypat likes this.
  4. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

While still not inexpensive, you can buy the Honda OEM fob far cheaper at an online Honda dealer compared to the MSRP probably quoted at your local dealer. Here’s an example of one at $271 compared to $407. (You may have to update the search on this site for the Clarity.) A dealer might charge 30 minutes of time to cut the emergency key and program the fob.
    https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/search?search_str=Key+fob

5. banshee2008

banshee2008 New Member

So I ended up going to a local locksmith (BDS Locksmith, if anyone in the Bay area needs such a service). I needed 2 Clarity keys, and got them done for $200 each. They also drove to my house, with same day service. Very satisfied.

6. Mowcowbell

Mowcowbell Well-Known Member

I do miss the days when I could walk into Wal-Mart and get a replacement key made for $3. That was for my 2003 Toyota Matrix XR.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. cokeb5

cokeb5 Member

9. Well yeah, duh, but that is waaaaayyyyy cheaper than the blank from Honda...

10. Ray44

Ray44 New Member

Be careful with the one on e-bay as apparently it won't work for a 2019 Clarity Touring. For that one would need (I think!) part # 72147-TRW-A12 for driver 1 and 72147-TRW-A22 for driver 2. Both are available at https://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/search?search_str=Key+fob but they are hardly cheap at $271 and you would still need to have them programmed.

11. To remove this ad click here.

12. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

Here’s the fun of aftermarket, or used, EBay key fobs: Obtain one, take to dealer/locksmith for reprogramming, pay the bill whether reprogramming works or not. If it doesn’t work obviously they will blame the fob. Now you get to exchange or return it, and get another, and pay AGAIN for reprogramming attempt #2. Repeat until frustrated enough to spend yet more money eventually on all OEM and pay for yet another reprogramming...

This is very very common with aftermarket and used EBay key fobs. I would not suggest them unless you are a true gambler. Yeah you might save notable money. And you might spend more than realer prices before you get a functional key. It’s kinda like playing red/black in Vegas. Do ya feel lucky punk? Huh? Do ya?

13. Jp777

Jp777 New Member

Hello first time posting. I bought the Clarity with one Fob.
    How do I know If I need 1 or 2. When you went to the locksmith did he give you a blue fob banshee2008? Anyone in the LA area recommend locksmiths?

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Welcome to the forum (or at least to posting on the forum)! Just look at the driver's door and see if "1" or "2" lights up when you start your Clarity. If it says 1, then you have key 1. If it says 2...

15. Bender

Bender Active Member

alternately, can't you just look at the key? My remaining key for the car I no longer have is labeled with a "2".

insightman likes this.
  16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Our fobs have been in rubberized covers for years, so I forgot they were conspicuously numbered.

17. Azkabanus

Azkabanus New Member

I also had a Honda Clarity, but I didn't lose the key. It just broke. And since the plastic part broke, it was not necessary to repair this chip. But it can't be done just like that, so I had to contact the master to program it. Initially, I planned to order a new key on the dealer's website, but it would have been costly. Then I looked for used keys, which I planned to program later, but I didn't find anything. Then I accidentally met a master who said he worked for the company https://mylocallocksmithtx.com /. The next day I came to him, and he fixed my key. Now the key is as new.