Looks like Mini Cooper lives

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Smart Wannabe, Nov 2, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

Yep, looks like a MINI. What were you expecting?

4. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

Right. Well. I wasn’t sure if they are creating a Cooper and then an even smaller car under it. Or if this is the smaller car. Makes a difference in where it would be sold if it’s a replacement of Cooper or a new smaller car.

5. If they make a car even smaller than a Cooper, I doubt they’d even sell it in the US. We rarely see the small ones (VW Polo, Toyota Aygo, Etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

6. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Interesting, as that article states (or least implies) that an all-electric version will still be built in the UK. Previous reports suggested (as I read them, anyway) that the EV would be built only in China.

Otherwise, the article seems to confirm everything else already kicked around here (including the wrap-around dashboard screen).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I, too, was surprised by the Oxford plant statement. I guess we'll find out in the coming months.

9. CuriousGeorge

This report reiterates the UK/China ICE/EV manufacturing split:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/11/02/next-generation-mini-electric-hatch/

Meanwhile, the main page here reports that BMW is asking US dealers to halve their profit margin on the new EV, to get around tariffs on Chinese imports. I'm therefore thinking that the first article is in error (or I misread it).

10. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

This is the same test mule we saw way back in March, but with different wheels. Would MINI really add a slightly smaller 3-door while continuing to make the current 3-door Hardtop? It's doubtful they'd try to sell both of them in the US. They'd better not do away with the rear wiper!

Again, here's my crude photoshopping of the current MINI Hardtop behind this test mule, matching the diameter and position of the rear wheels:
    upload_2021-11-3_9-55-59.png

Amazingly, it appears MINI found a way to make the fake hood scoop even faker by not even pretending to have an opening in the hood to simulate an air intake. All that's left is the outline of a hood scoop. I guess it's the thought that counts.

11. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My impression has always been the new smaller 3-door is a replacement for the current one, but maybe the 5-door will stay around as the slightly bigger (current) version? Or will the 5-door go away? They eliminated the 4-door (counting rear doors) Clubman, keeping the 6-door as the only option.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. CuriousGeorge

My understanding is that the 2023 EV and ICE models will be very similar in size and appearance (maybe even identical?), even if different underneath (and built in different locations).

Front page story indicates that the new EV will be sold in the US.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  14. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member

from https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38147314/2023-mini-cooper-hardtop-preview/

Seems that they intend to keep the current cooper line in addition to the super mini from China.

15. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

The only thing I can conclude is that perhaps MINI has determined that depending on shipping from China for the MINI BEV sales in the EU (presumably one of their largest markets) may be unwise. Therefore, they may have decided to make MINI BEV in China for China, which makes sense. And continue rest-of-globe BEV production in UK and NLD.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

16. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I thought this was the original plan based on a MotoringFile article from forever ago.

But that other linked article about BMW and tariffs makes me think no one really knows what's going on.

insightman likes this.
  17. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't see that in the article.

18. CuriousGeorge

Not a lot of new news in these articles, but still the clearest indication I've seen yet that 1) the EV will only be built in China (story 1), and 2) it and the ICE version will be visually nearly identical (story 2).

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mini/mini/107999/new-2023-mini-hatch-first-official-look-smaller-next-gen-electric-mini

"It will be smaller than the current generation model and built with both electric and petrol power - the battery powered version made in China, and internal combustion versions built at the firm’s British base in Oxford. "

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/mini/

"The three-door hatchback kicks off as EV in 2023 while carrying on as ICE version until mid-2025,' Bernd tells CAR, 'but here's a surprise: the visual difference between the two cars will be hard to spot."

Apologies to current owners who are happy with their SEs, but potentially of interest to those like me who are looking ahead...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    Puppethead likes this.
  19. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

21. These mentions of changes to the MINI lineup, including the SE, suggest a 2023 arrival. Do you suppose they will arrive as “2024” models? I am curious about the MINI product lineup for the year 2022. Will the 2023 models be substantially the same as 2022? I ordered a 2022 Signature Plus during October and have little clue as to when it will begin production. I once ordered a 1984 Honda and received a 1985 nine months later. As Yogi once said, “Deja vu all over again.”

22. CuriousGeorge

I have not read anything yet re. how the changeover will be handled. If I do, I will try to remember to post it to this thread.

goaheadbackup likes this.
  23. Smart Wannabe

Smart Wannabe Member