Looking to lease a clarity in Maryland

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by trevor68, Jan 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. trevor68

trevor68 New Member

Hi,
    does anyone know where I can get a great deal for a Clarity lease near Maryland? I don't mind driving and I don't mind doing a one pay lease either.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Ditto that. I live in Maryland and leased two months ago. My sales manager was pretty upfront about the financial process - that $209 / $2300 down is just an "example" - they will use the same money factor (i.e. interest rate) and generate a lease number for any amount you want to put down. You can still negotiate on the sales price used in the calculation (though mine claimed that the lease already required a concession from the dealer so there wasn't as much room to negotiate as there was against MSRP).

As a data point, after agreeing to a modest reduction in price, and asking for 15,000 mi/yr instead of 12,000 (those are the only two choices for promotional leases, though) - which cost me another $700 as lower end-of-lease value - I came out with a lease at $276/mo with only the taxes and dealer fees paid upfront, about $2250.

The promotional lease uses a cost of around $23,000 after EV credits, a lease-end value of $14,400 for the 12k mi/yr version, and I worked out that the interest rate being charged is about 1.2%. I considered those pretty good numbers and this deal is part of why I so quickly chose the Clarity over the Ioniq EV or the Bolt that I was also looking at. (On paper the MSRP of the Ioniq is less but I'm not sure it would come out cheaper on the lease.)

By the way, I was told that in Maryland we pay sales tax on the entire vehicle value upfront for a lease, but then don't have to pay any sales tax if we buy the vehicle at end-of-lease. If anyone has had a different experience in Maryland I'd like to hear about it. (I know other states do it differently.)

One other thing - I did consider paying a lump-sum lease but decided against it. This is my first time leasing, and I had some uncertainty about how the money will be handled if the car is totaled or the lease otherwise gets terminated. I didn't want a potential situation where I had paid more than the depreciation on the car and didn't get it back. And at 1.2% I consider that almost free money - the difference from what I am earning in the bank is less than the value of keeping ready cash on hand for other needs, IMO.

4. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

Don't know where you are in MD but I just leased mine with a similar deal to Walt from Herson's Honda in Rockville, MD. Everyone was really friendly and upfront there. The finance guy was the best and had no issue trading obscenities with me and my wife (we're all in our mid 30s) and he was very upfront that the lease deal on the Clarity is phenomenal (and was asked this after we signed on the dotted line).

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. 4sallypat

4sallypat Active Member

Is MD part of the "Northeast ZEV DLFC" incentive where you get an extra $3,000 against a lease ?

I know most other ZEV participating states get the $7600 Honda incentive and if you are in NY you get an extra $1700.

I wish I could get the sweetest deal in NY - $7600 + $3000 + $1700 off the MSRP on a Clarity...

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

I'm not sure if you mean a Honda incentive or state. In MD it is supposed to be $100/kWh capacity, or $1700 for the Clarity. No way to tell what mix of credits and in-house incentives Honda actually used to calculate the capital cost.

8. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

Still waiting on my $1,700 check. I sent in the applications for both it and the HOV sticker and the sticker came a few weeks ago.

9. Walt R

Walt R Active Member

Bina, have you checked the website? When I went there last year I thought it said funds were exhausted, and applications would be paid once a new appropriation was made.

10. Bina12834

Bina12834 Member

Last I heard was that applications received by a certain date (I don’t remember exactly when it was but it was in late November) would be processed but anything after that would have to wait until new funds were received which I think said end of 2019.

11. To remove this ad click here.