Looking for outdoor EVSE mounting suggestions

Discussion in 'General' started by Gleeplewinky, Jun 29, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. All,

I'm in the market for a BEV and will be buying an EVSE (level 2 charger). I don't have a garage, and I live in New England, so this will necessarily be outdoors. I'm looking for good mounting / installation options for the charger (probably a ChargePoint Home Flex or JuiceBox Pro). A post-type unit might be ideal as I can put it at the end of the drive way and within cable-reach of either space -- but I can only find a couple of examples of post mounts and no examples of installing either charger on one of those. Any ideas? Pointers?

Does anyone have a feel for best practice for such installations for a snowy (in the winter) climate? Do you build little hutches for the chargers?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Just the plug which needs to avoid water that might freeze.

Bob Wilson

4. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I've had a 6.5kw Aerovironment L2 mounted to the side of my house since late 2016. This is outdoors on a South wall so the summer sun can be pretty brutal. So far so good. I did caulk around the perimeter in to prevent a driving rain from possibly leaking in through the hole for wiring. I have been thinking of building a little shelter for it as I'm a little concerned about the intense UV in the summer possibly degrading the plastic but I do see these same units outdoors year round a dealers. So I think you'd be pretty safe with a wall mount if that's the best location for access.

5. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I treat my GoPlug as a portable EVSE, but when it's plugged in by the driveway I definitely keep it,
    the 14-50, and the J-plug under a little hutch that leans against the house wall. The wire just
    coils up wherever.

On trips to places where there's suitable destination power, I'll roll the whole thing up and take it along.
    Plus my yuuge 8/3 extension, a pigtailed 14-50 outlet, and a couple of different type 40A breakers in case
    I have to insert into a panel temporarily,

[*Side note*: This is my 500th post!]

_H*

John Lumsden likes this.