Logging data on charging, ICE usage, mileage, etc.

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Ray B, Dec 28, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Ray B

Ray B Active Member

Anyone else here keeping a log of EV charges (kWh), SoC, EV range, and odometer readings, and # miles running in HV mode, etc?

OCD I know, but once I started I can't help myself. I would prefer an OBD-II system to do all of this, but I don't think one exists that can grab the EV related data.

Just curious if I am alone in this obsession. If not, we can compare data.

I welcome suggestions about what app/software to use to keep the notes. I am using 'Google Keep Notes' for now. I am also logging my DIY maintenance in a separate log.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jdonalds

jdonalds Well-Known Member

I'm happy with the data provided by the JuiceBox and JuiceNet app. We've only (after 21,000 miles) charged at home so it is a complete record. I can dump all the data to a file and import it to Excel. The main thing I look at is the total charge time which has yet to exceed 2 hours and 15 minutes.

It's too difficult to track HV miles because the car shifts in and out of EV mode, and regen adds more battery charge.

4. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I have been logging miles (actual and estimated on dash) and kW from my ChargePoint Home EVSE since May.
    Also annotated with driving parameters such as rain, lights, heater or seat heater, etc. I have installed an hour meter and keep track of ICE usage. Have only had 3 HV trips and so far I am 90%+ EV.
    At each charge I calculate cost, cents/mile, miles/kW, and MPGe.
    Currently just putting it in a note file on my phone.
    I am willing to share.

5. craze1cars

craze1cars Well-Known Member

I do none of this...I just drive the car like any other car...

Godspeed good people! Enjoy your passion...sorry I won’t be able to contribute...

Clarity_Newbie likes this.
  6. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I deliberately picked a data-free Bosch EVSE because I didn't want to get into analyzing more complicated data than I've been logging for my Insights for nearly 20 years (data which sadly shows my hard-won 64 lifetime mpg steadily dropping since I stopped commuting to work 4 years ago). I'm so glad to have found this forum where I'm counting on others to do a better job of analysis than I could ever do (especially because the Clarity in our garage is my wife's car, not mine). I will definitely watch this thread closely (OK, I admit I watch all Clarity threads closely).

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. It’s a fair bet that you’re not alone in your obsession. It’s a very active group here (I’m find it an amazing resource, at least the equal of the online community around my last car)

As a data point, I use Excel to log the same stuff. Too lazy to set up a good database.

9. Robert_Alabama

Robert_Alabama Well-Known Member

I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I like knowing about how many miles pure electric and how many miles in hybrid mode. I don't necessarily care about just miles when gas engine is running, just when it is in hybrid mode. To approximate this for the Clarity, I keep up with gallons of gasoline burned and measure hybrid mode miles/gallon on significant trips. Then I can multiply gallons of gas times approximated hybrid mode mpg to get approximate total hybrid driven miles. The rest of the miles are pure electric. Since most of my electricity for the Clarity is from free charging at work, I don't work too hard to estimate kWh used in electric mode, just reasonably try to maximize electric miles used. I also don't reset Range A on the car, so my Range A matches my odometer. Under info/current drive and the Range A tab, I see total miles and total average mpg reported for the car. This gives me a second check for my electric vs gas miles calculation. If the car is running about 80% pure electric, then I can divide the mpg shown on the range A tab by 5 to see my hybrid mode mpg.

Here's a sample of the data I am used to from the Volt. It is from www.voltstats.net and updates automatically from OnStar.

upload_2018-12-28_21-54-1.png

10. MoLoe

MoLoe New Member

Being a Clarity owner for the past 8,000 miles puts me in a hard spot...i never use the ICE.
    I'm still on the 1st tank of gas from the dealership

Gas costs over $2/gal. Vs 10c/kwh
    I live in a home with level 2 charger.
    Commute to work is 18 miles.

Since i can only comment on the electric portion ill do that.

I set the trip odomiter to reset every time i charge the car (setting in infotainment). This assures me that my range (EV) is my in the dash works in sync with my range per charge.

I can say that anyone who says they get 57 miles per charge period(!) is skewing the truth. (Like the VW Jetta that set an mpg world record ...'cmon, its a Jetta)

Living with kids in Maryland means i always have a car full of junk (weight) and In my experiance in the Clarity load is not a range determinant nor is aerodynamics or throttle abuse.
    Weather is(!!!)
    In 70 degree f i get 57 miles of range. With regenerative braking
    The same commute with same driving habits in icey 20 degrees yeilds me 38 miles. (Note that i have kids so heater use is inevitable during winter days contributing to the lower range)

Hope this helps

So i feel as though icouldnt give you the following stats without the aforementioned information:

16kwh = 57 miles in summer
    16kwh = 38 miles in winter

Im still not sure if there is energy "loss" or eccess energy use.
    Im hoping to get an obd2 device to fish deeper into the energy usage of the vehicle.

Hope this helps
    Cheers.