Living with Wiperlessness

Discussion in 'Hyundai Ioniq 5' started by Rick Altman, Mar 26, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rick Altman

Rick Altman New Member

One of the most curious design decisions with the IONIQ 5 is the lack of a rear windshield wiper. I am not going to NOT buy the car because of it, but it's just...weird. Why did they do that??

What am I in for? Will I need to hose off the back more often? Is it a problem driving during active rain? Or is the angle of the glass such that you don't ever worry about this.

All real-world experiences welcome...

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. It rained today. The back window was the only part of the vehicle that made me wash the car. It gets really dirty. Water is suspended in place.
    Personally, I don't need to look back when I drive forward. If the rear camera lens is clean, I'm good.

I've tried keeping washer fluid and a squeegee in the car. It isn't that easy though. It is best to stop by a gas station to use their squeegee bucket of fluid.

4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must have missed this informative squeegee ad from Hyundai about gas-station attendants vs electrified vehicles:

However, as you can see in the ad, Hyundai used to embrace rear wipers (as did Kia with cars they designed in the olden days).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022
  5. I know, I think about that, but when have you really seen gas station attendants at the pumps?

insightman likes this.
  6. CapeCodI5

CapeCodI5 Member

"It rained today. The back window was the only part of the vehicle that made me wash the car. It gets really dirty. Water is suspended in place."

It rained in the Boston area yesterday and I saw the same thing. I had to make a 40 mile (one way) trip in the morning and had the same issue. i keep a long handled soft brush in my garage, from my rving days, and that helped but the spoiler at the top of the rear window kept me from getting it all clean.

7. To remove this ad click here.