Lithium-air Batteries

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by T X, Feb 23, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. T X

T X New Member

From https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/980626

“With further development, we expect our new design for the lithium-air battery to also reach a record energy density of 1200 watt-hours per kilogram,” said Curtiss. “That is nearly four times better than lithium-ion batteries.”​

If (or when) these new lithium-air batteries start being manufactured at scale, does anyone know whether we'll be able to upgrade the Kona EV stock battery to use the new technology? (Presumably with some modifications for the oxygen intake.)

It'd be fantastic to drop $7,000 to get four times the range (even three times would be super).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

Let's not get carried away. The concept is still in development and the press release gives no indication that it's anywhere close to commercial production. If and when someone decides to build it, they'll decide whether it's worth building them in configurations that would be compatible with older EV models. They may well concentrate on the new vehicle market -- IF it happens at all. Don't hold your breath.

Fastnf, 22kona and insightman like this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

As with most entrepreneurial efforts, the size of the market will be the most important factor. Will there be lots of Kona EVs with owners willing to drop $7,000 to $12,000 for the latest battery technology to improve their decade-old vehicles?

5. They're a little heavier but sodium batteries are looking interesting. Noe temperature related loss of range issues and much cheaper to produce. One manufacturer is already putting them into a little town car I believe.

6. T X

T X New Member

I was wondering whether the Kona EV battery can be upgraded, in general.

https://batteriesnews.com/sodium-ion-batteries-expected-evs-ranges-500-km-catl-exec-says/

Do sodium-ion batteries have more energy density compared with lithium-ion? My guess is that people won't upgrade unless the new battery pack comes with a significant mileage increase.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. T X

T X New Member

I had a RAV4 for almost 25 years. If 10 years down the road a battery with triple the range comes by, I can image there'd be many people who'd upgrade (instead of buying a new car).

Nonetheless, do you know whether the Kona's battery was designed to be upgraded?

9. Sodium is heavier than lithium, so energy density per kilogram is less. However there are other advantages that may discount the differences. Especially not being effected by temperature.

10. T X

T X New Member

Does anyone know whether Gotion's Astroinno L600 LMFP battery, SVOLT Energy Technology Company's “Dragon Armor”, or the Qilin battery can replace an existing 2020+ Kona EV battery?

Looks like Hyundai is going to be outfitting some of its models with the Qilin:

https://www.smartcompany.com.au/industries/manufacturing/ev-battery-1000km-driving-range/

The 2024 long-range model reportedly will get 490 km:

https://electriccarsreport.com/2023/03/2024-hyundai-kona-electric-gets-extended-range-and-advanced-features/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2023
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Gotion expects the L600 Astroinno to cost 5% less than a conventional LFP cell in terms of dollars per kWh. So if Hyundai decides to devote hardware and software engineering resources to adapting this battery to a car they don't make anymore, would you be willing to pay 95% of the price of a new 2020 Kona EV battery plus a thousand or so for installation? I expect Hyundai will, instead, devote their engineering resources to new vehicles rather than spiffing up old ones.

12. To remove this ad click here.