Level 3 charging reference table

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Gsbrryprk8, Oct 4, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Gsbrryprk8

Gsbrryprk8 Member

I made this table for easy reference when using DC level 3 chargers. It shows how much driving distance you’ll get from a 15 minute level 3 charge. Start with the ambient temperature and the DCFC type, then read across and choose the column that corresponds to your driving style. You can extrapolate as needed.

IMG_0002.JPG

The underlying data come from a graph I saw earlier in this forum. It doesn’t apply to charging above 72% since charge speed is reduced in steps above that point and I wanted to keep it simple. Also, electrons cost more in that range and I’m frugal. BlueKonaEV recently mentioned seeing the step down begin at 79% which is great, so keep that in mind.

My Kona is 2019, no battery warmer, without the BMS update. I live in the US and data are in imperial units, but can do it in metric if requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. That looks like a very useful table. Thx

4. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

A couple of comments:

First of all, a nit - technically there is no such thing as "Level 3" - I use "DCFC" instead:

The charge rate really depends on the pack temperature, and not ambient. Sometimes these are close to each other. Sometimes not. Even without the battery heater, driving for a couple of hours does warm up the battery somewhat - enough to improve charging performance. Basically the motor itself generates some amount of heat during driving as the motor isn't 100% efficient, and my understanding is that the car will scavenge this heat and use it to slowly warm the battery. One of my "projects" is to monitor pack temperature on a long drive to try and quantify this - I just need to wait for it to get colder before I try this.

After these longer drives last winter, I got into the practice of charging at the end of the drive when the pack was warmer, and not waiting until the next morning when the pack would have cooled down to ambient. This usually worked fairly well - at the time I was using a 50kW DCFC, and I would usually get the full rate for at some of the session.

Even without a long drive, one might choose to use a DCFC at the end of the day when ambient is usually somewhat warmer, or use DCFC if the car has been parked in a warmer garage overnight.

Given how important the pack temperature is, I wish that Hyundai had provided a way to see this on the screen without having to use an external OBDII tool of some sort.

electriceddy likes this.
  5. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

Is that from a cold battery or driving beforehand ?