Left-side steering wheel controls not working

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by AJ Cullum, Sep 25, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. AJ Cullum

AJ Cullum New Member

I own a 2018 Clarity PHEV Touring, and the controls on the left side of the steering wheel - volume, phone, four-way rocker, etc. - all went dead. Right side is still working fine. Luckily we still have a few months on the warranty, but obviously not super confidence-inspiring about quality longer-term.

But the main thing I'm wondering is a) if anyone else has had this problem, and b) if there might be a non-hardware fix. Anyone know if a fuse handles just those controls, or whether some sort of hard reset might cure it? I'd rather do some minor work myself than have to schedule an appointment with the dealer. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

Reboot the head unit (hold the power button).

4. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

The left four-way switch controls the dash display and in my experience still works even with the tablet thing powered off.

5. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

If rebooting the head unit doesn't work, then you might try one more thing before resorting to the dealer.

You can do a 'hard boot' by disconnecting the negative terminal of the 12V battery for 30 seconds or-so. When you reconnect and start the vehicle, there will be a host of ominous errors that appear. These errors will clear after driving a short distance. If successful, you may need to perform a TPMS calibration.

6. AJ Cullum

AJ Cullum New Member

Thanks, I'll give both of those a try!

7. To remove this ad click here.