Leasing Clarity PHEV in NY and NJ

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by George C, Apr 22, 2018.

To remove this ad click here.

1. George C

George C New Member

i'm in NY right now but i will be moving to NJ before i get the Clarity

like most people i am thinking of leasing versus buying and i heard there is a $6,500 lease cash for the Clarity in both NY and NJ directly from Honda ?

so how does that work ?

does that mean i negotiate a lease rate with a dealer and then i get a $6,500 check from Honda ? that would be sweet. but is that really how it works ?

also what do you think i can get for the Touring with zero down ?

i went to a dealer in long island and he told me something like $600 / month but i talked him down to $399 in a matter of maybe 5 minutes however i had no intention of getting the car just yet - i just wanted to see what price he will offer.

according to some of the math i been doing though it should still go lower than that, to maybe $350 / month ( with taxes and fees up front ).

if i can get it for $350 / month and then get $6,500 lease cash that would put the overall cost at $170 / month which is what Camry was last year just before it was replaced with 2018 model ...

but is this how it works though ?

PS: by the way i test drove the Clarity PHEV Touring back to back with Volt 2nd Gen and Prius Prime ( and i'm currently driving a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE ) and i would say the Clarity is slightly better ( quieter ) than Camry and much better than either Volt ( more comfortable ) or Prius ( less buzzy and wobbly ). Clarity is easily my favorite plug in.

However i'm not desperate to get a plug-in car if i can't get it in the same price range ( monthly expense ) as Accord Hybrid, which is my 2nd choice after the Clarity. This would depend on that Lease Cash or other incentives ...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. megreyhair

megreyhair Active Member

You should get it in NY before moving to NJ. NY has no sale tax on certain zero or PHEV and I think Clarity is on the list. There is no such incentive for NJ